Are two sleeping bags better than one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
wont it mean more baggage

I'm not entirely sure there... The same amount of insulation will take up the same amount of space regardless of whether it's in one bag or two, and the material of the bags isn't going to make that much difference. By the time you're looking at 5-season gear, you're dealing with a lot of bulk no matter what.

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
I'm not entirely sure there... The same amount of insulation will take up the same amount of space regardless of whether it's in one bag or two, and the material of the bags isn't going to make that much difference. By the time you're looking at 5-season gear, you're dealing with a lot of bulk no matter what.

Does this mean my two SP Elite 3s which weight 3.2kg in total is warmer than the SP Antarctica RE which weighs only (only I say!) 2.8kg? I'd imagine the zips are quite heavy (there are two zips per bag so 4 in all) but what is the rest of the 400g coming from? More filling or just additional material?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Hard to say, because they may not be using identical insulation... While I'm not hugely familiar with the SP bags, I don't think they use the lightest of shell materials. My Rab Quantum 200 weighs in at about 600g with only 200g of filling, so that's about 400g for an ultra-minimalist (no zips, no neck baffle) bag shell made from the lightest parachute pertex available...

I may have to retract my statement that "the material of the bags isn't going to make that much difference"... Is 400g "that much of a difference" on a 3kg bag? :dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE