Are there any poisonous aliums ? (onions ! )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Yes, sorry!

Onion and bulb translate both to German Zwiebel. We just say Zwiebel and more precisely Blumenzwiebel. Or Tulpenzwiebel for tulip bulb.

I didn't know the word bulb.

I never heard about for humans toxic allium.
i guess incorrect translations and lack of detailed knowledge are the biggest contribution to eating the wrong plant. -- so my philosophy is "if in doubt -leave it out" (especially if you got bitten by a vampire :p )
not related to onions, but yucca (cassava) is a common part of the local diet -- not for me anymore as i've gotten sick several times despite proper preparation... .so i'd recommend trying a small amount first when trying new wild edibles even if text sources rate them as good..

Reactions: Erbswurst

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes, sorry!

Onion and bulb translate both to German Zwiebel. We just say Zwiebel and more precisely Blumenzwiebel. Or Tulpenzwiebel for tulip bulb.

I did wonder, especially when SaraR commented :)

Onions have layers of growth, unlike tulips which grow offset bulbs instead.

Funnily enough, in Scots, what is known as 'spring onions' are called syboes. From the French ciboule.
Common linguistic root perhaps ?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Yes, sorry!

Same in Swedish, it's all "lök" (pl. lökar).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE