Are the New Pro Boots suitable for winter in Norway?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Do you mean suitable temperature wise, or for grip?

I'm assuming they're not lined. I manage fine down to -10 to -15°C with non-lined walking boots. Although if you're walking on icey roads, paths, etc., you will slip all over the place.

But then:

Below -15°C and deeper snow, these. Warm and flexible rubber soles which gives good grip on ice:

http://www.sievi.com/index.php?sivu...organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=sievi footwear

If snow isn't deep, these are lined and have studs for gripping on ice:

http://old.icebug.se/Product.aspx?m=468

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For such an expedition, in March, I''d be tempted by either the Sieve ones Susi suggests (heck, I want a pair for everyday winter wear next winter), or the Nokian wellies with a removable felt liner. In March it can get wet, and the wellies can handle that better than a leather boot. Buy a set of spare liners, size them for plenty of socks (with two pairs of thick socks in mine I'm fine down to -35 -- -40 C). The bad thing about wellies is that they will retain moisture, but changing out socks (and liners) a often as possible helps a lot, and in wet snow conditions they are lovely.

For true dry cold I'd pick sami fur-on boots or a mukluk, not those hard hiking boots.

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
I have worn them in Sub Zero, Only so i didnt wreck another set i have and had no problems.
The only gripe i have is they are cut far too high (for me anyway) and i found it a PITA to walk long distances so changed back to my low cut ones

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The nice thing about the Nokians is that they are quick to put on. Very nice when you need to run out for more firewood, to feed the dogs or whatever. Apart from being warm, soft and possible to ski in.

I stopped wearing boots a year ago and just use wellington's now, like you say they are easy to get on and are warm with extra socks even in winter. Don't see the point of boots if your not hiking and I can't hike these days. I might get a par of Nokian for my birthday :)

Thinking about it, in summer unless you are in hilly areas why do you need boots anyway? Good pair of trainers with instep support will do the job for tramping around a bit of woodland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE