Are some Fire Steels better than others?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The reason i ask this, is that i recently upgraded (or so i thought) from a small scout sized 'light my fire' fire steel, to a large 'army sized' steel.

This new steel is made by 'Mil Com' and truth be told, was just over half the cost of a similar sized offering from the likes of 'Light my Fire'.

After scraping off the usual black coating, there seems to be a noticeable lack of performance in comparison to my old steel. Scraping with the back of my knife produces plenty of metal shavings, but which often fail to ignite (same with the scrapper it came with, which i try not to use anyhow due to it scoring the steel). It seems the metal is somewhat softer.

Is this my imagination, or have others noticed differences in performance between brands?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Yep, I found this out when I bought a webtex firesteel. The sparks are not very easy to make at all without knocking your tinder all over the place when you strike.

leon-1

I've been playing with allsorts for a while, but I have to say that the light my fire ones do seem to be very good in comparison to others that I have used.

Some of the ones I bought from China are awful in comparison, they actually seem to be made from a harder compound, I have some smaller Austrian ones which are pretty good (comparable to the light my fire scout ones), I have a couple of fireball firesteels which are okay and recently I got some others to play with which I will give a go at the WG.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I lost my LMF one and bought a vango one. IMHO it was better than the LMF one. It certainly sent a shower of sparks out and lit my gas stove first strike and without me knocking it over like I usually do with firesteels. In my book if I use it without mishap then it is good. Better than the LMF anyway. The term cakchanded was invented for me. See can't even spell it right! bloody keyboard.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
As has been said, there are good ones and not so good ones.

I've always been impressed with the Blast Match which fairly reliably lights things like dry grass with one strike. The main problem that I have with it is figuring out how to open the case if it's a while since I've used it... :confused:

But most of the time I just use a gas lighter. :campfire:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The on and only problem i've encounterd with the blast match is if my tinder is on hard surface, for some reason i just end up flinging the whole lot all over the place, whereas if it's on a soft surface i push the ferro against a stone it seem a lot more stable. strange. good kit though.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i upgraded from a mil com to a light my fire, i'll be honest what you describe with the mil com is quite accurate you tend to shave alot of metal off it before it sparks.
the LMF however sparks every single time.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I wonder if they would throw better(the poor ones) with a saw back scraper like the nato matchless fire kit ones, i know it's ment for scraping the hexy into a powder but it might increas the speed at which you remove the ferrocium, would that result in hotter swarf from the cheaper rods?

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
the cheapest firesteel i bought came with a striker with a V in the end. it is about the best firesteel i have (and i have several in different kit) it gives better sparks than others much more expensive.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Several of those on Ebay are rubbish, I got one with a fancy horn handle and the only use it has is being shaved down to a little pile of scrapings that can then be lit using....a LMF firesteel !

NS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE