The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
There's already two types isn't there? Would that be the mutated version and original? Or could the original be what everyone reckons they had last year.
Of the same species, there is the SARS-CoV-1 strain, which causes SARS, and the SARS-CoV-2 strain, which causes COVID-19, plus a lot of other strains that doesn't cause disease in humans.

Virus taxonomy is messy at the best of times...

LukeR

May 9, 2020
Glasgow
I think it's quite funny how pretty much everyone has such a strong opinion on why the government approach is absolutely terrible every step of the way. Can people accept that this pandemic is a problem of mind-boggling complexity, the likes of which the world has never known? And yet almost everyone I speak to is utterly convinced that they know exactly the right solution. I wonder how many people have heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

I think we all need to have a greater level of acceptance that this is something completely new and unprecedented, and in hindsight there are going to be a lot of mistakes. That doesn't mean we should absolve the government of criticism, but let's at least try to stay positive and not pretend that things couldn't have gone a lot worse by now.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
What, so like windows 95, not windows 10? And they are not about to release Covid 10?
Look, naming these things are a bit tricky because you might not actually know exactly what you're dealing with at the time of naming it and there's a lot of opinions involved.
Traditionally, viruses that cause disease were named after the place they were first found, like Ebola and Marburg. I really like that historical connection, but since people can be judgemental they worried there would be attacks on Chinese looking people and so on.
Then the virus and the disease it causes have been given different names, one for the virus (SARS-CoV-2) and one er the disease (COVID-19). The disease name won't be "upgraded", much like Windows 8 is still Windows 8, even if there are other operating systems too and new Windows ones come into existence later on.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
There's already two types isn't there? Would that be the mutated version and original? Or could the original be what everyone reckons they had last year.
u will know if it mutates to a very deadly form, young fit people and pregnant women inparticular become the greater part of the 10.000 deaths a day. So really we need to have the means to ventilate 3 million people or there abouts.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Earlier on before it was called a pandemic I think it was said by an expert that there's a B and C strain in circulation. Some time later I read online that some respected group of scientists did some modeling back to what I think was the A strain which they put as being in the population September or October, well before the big wuhan outbreak.

Other things I've read, heard on the radio or seen on TV about this virus include the following. They're using the wrong model, the virus doesn't provide herd immunity but fades in the time after you had the virus, a vaccine might not work and a very many conflicting views from many scientists. The only thing for sure is that nobody really knows what to do for the best. Least of all people on an outdoor forum. It seems the best we can say is that what's being done isn't the best that can be done. Not least because nobody knows enough to make that determination.

Personally I'm not going to prep for the end of days. I'm just going to live my life as best I can with the restrictions.

One more thing, it seems round here they're basically working within the regulations but down south it's more like a free for all. If there is a spike it'll be down there I reckon.

Reactions: Dougster and LukeR

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
An English ex patriot friend at Church lost her 65 year old son (still in England) to Covid 6 or 8 weeks ago. Now her sister in London I’d hospitalized with it.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Mutations arn't always bad...

Our data suggest that SARS-CoV has suffered an attenuating mutation by the 29 nt deletion that constitutes a landmark genetic change. The SARS epidemic in 2003 may have taken a more severe course if not involving this mutation.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's interesting to see who reacts to which post. A positive post gets certain people reacting, negative aspect post gets a totally different group reacting. I think it indicates that there's a division in opinions with COVID 19. It's another B**X*t topic to discuss in the way n it divides opinion. The only thing is it's topic that is if importance to everyone rather than usually a very, very, very small sector of the human population like the B topic.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
So questions for the better informed since I live in a near media blackout. How do these stats stack up now?

Last I read "they" reckoned 80% of us in the UK are gonna get the covids

20% of cases will require hospitalisation

And finally are there any better treatments than paracetamol and ibuprofen

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's a lot of possible treatment and care options once you're hospitalised. Apparently even putting the patient on their stomach during ventilation helps with recovery when it's at its worst. That's an Italian innovation apparently but I can't remember the reason why it works.

I thought the 80% refers to the number of people who need to get it and get the antibodies for it to allow for herd immunity. There's more evidence now and I heard it's a possibility that immunity doesn't last long so perhaps herd immunity isn't possible.

It's age related I suppose with risk of it hitting you hard. 50 years it's the start of risk increasing significantly with every ten years until the 70s + group. Even 40 to 50 is significantly greater risk than those less than 40. So I guess if 20% of those are in the older age groups then I wonder if that's something to do with the 20% figure but I've not heard about that one.

I think this virus is a very good incentive for people to get on top of weight and other lifestyle risk factors. Obesity is a serious underlying condition. It's what I worry most about with my dad. He's pre-diabetic even though he denies it and weight is an issue for him. Otherwise both 70+ year old parent are rather fit and healthy for their age. Not quite as fit as the 67 year old guy I used to know who did the Bob Graham round in a record time for his age group but they're healthy enough not to get the at risk letter despite being in the age range for higher risk.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
There's a lot of possible treatment and care options once you're hospitalised. Apparently even putting the patient on their stomach during ventilation helps with recovery when it's at its worst. That's an Italian innovation apparently but I can't remember the reason why it works.

It works for 2 reasons stomach liver ect. are pushed away from you lungs and any fluid build up falls forward help the lungs function with what they have left

or the more technical term...

Prone positioning improves gas exchange by ameliorating the ventral-dorsal transpulmonary pressure difference, reducing dorsal lung compression, and improving lung perfusion

Its not new and was first considered in the 1970's - didn't really catch on until ventilators improved - This is the most wide spread use of the technique but that because there is no other treatment to administer and the patients don't have other medical needs - injuries etc.

Sadly there is very little actual treatment - ventilators keep you alive so you can hopefully fight it off yourself

there are trials going on RECOVERY being the biggest UK one - (Randomised Evaluation of COVID-19 Therapy) its testing various suggested approaches but remember its Randomised - so its down to chance if you end up getting the best treatment

There are other drug trails - the infamous hydroxychloroquine the one getting all the attention but remdesivir is so far the only one looking promising

convalescent plasma therapy is also being considered - giving patient plasma from recovered patients to the sick but I'm not sure about that one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE