The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The issue isn't control. The issue is to reduce the rate of transmission so much that existing or enhanced medical support
is not overwhelmed like the triage in Italy. The US of A can't get this done.

Wrong. We aren't ever going to be "locked up." All unnecessary travel should be delayed. Stupidity should be crucified.
All unnecessary travelers must be told to stay away. We do not want your visits. We do not want you to stop here.
Ugger Boff!

I'm out and about every second day with no choice in a hospital setting. I'm in the top vulnerable group as well.
You all just stay the hell away for the next 3-4 months and then we will have the conversation.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Comparing South Korea to the US or anywhere in Western Europe is apples to oranges. Compared to the US it’s an extremely small area and compared to most western nations it’s citizens tend not to travel far from home anyway. Yes we need to take isolation more seriously but enforcing it in a western nation is another matter. Florida begins a mandatory stay home order this coming Friday but it will be largely ignored.

A friend sent me this link:-

I get with the aging demographic of Florida why they would insist on performing VCPs but to give interstate Truckers in effect a hall pass makes a mockery of it all.

Reactions: Nomad64

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK

I get with the aging demographic of Florida why they would insist on performing VCPs but to give interstate Truckers in effect a hall pass makes a mockery of it all.

According to the article!

“The order doesn’t apply to those working in a military, emergency, health or infrastructure capacity, or persons involved in any commercial activity.”

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

True. But without the truckers we don’t eat. Without the truckers we don’t get the masks, respirators, and other medical supplies. Without the truckers we don’t get ANYTHING. It’s really just that simple: without the truckers life literallyy stops.

Reactions: Robson Valley

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
According to the article!

“The order doesn’t apply to those working in a military, emergency, health or infrastructure capacity, or persons involved in any commercial activity.”
Florida has no authority to stop the military even if they wanted to. Come to think of it, the authority over interstate trucking is also fairly limited under the Commerce Clause. Under the Constitution the authority to regulate interstate commerce is vested in the federal government——it’s one of the few things vested in the federal rather than state governments.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
True. But without the truckers we don’t eat. Without the truckers we don’t get the masks, respirators, and other medical supplies. Without the truckers we don’t get ANYTHING. It’s really just that simple: without the truckers life literallyy stops.

Is that the point YOU think I'm arguing?? Interesting...

No , all I'm pointing out is that by NOT testing those that are driving interstate it makes the rest of the exercise nigh pointless.

Its basically Paretos Law isn't it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is that the point YOU think I'm arguing?? Interesting...

No , all I'm pointing out is that by NOT testing those that are driving interstate it makes the rest of the exercise nigh pointless.

Its basically Paretos Law isn't it.
No; I understood your point, and partially agree. The difference is:
1) The truckers are smaller in number than the hoards of spring breakers they’re trying to stop, and
2) The truckers are unlikely to congregate on the beaches and in hotels than the spring breakers.

In other words, yes, the truckers can, and likely will, bring in the virus to some extent, but hardly on the same scale as hoards of tourists. It’s very much like the self isolation idea. Wedo the best we can but some trips outside home are neccessary To shop and restock our our home suplies. Likewise the truckers are necessary to restock the stores. We can’t eliminate the possibility of infection but we hope we can lessen it.

Reactions: Robson Valley
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Florida has no authority to stop the military even if they wanted to. Come to think of it, the authority over interstate trucking is also fairly limited under the Commerce Clause. Under the Constitution the authority to regulate interstate commerce is vested in the federal government——it’s one of the few things vested in the federal rather than state governments.
I thought that the us military could not be deployed on us soil without presidential/congressional authorisation, or is that somewhere else ?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I thought that the us military could not be deployed on us soil without presidential/congressional authorisation, or is that somewhere else ?
Depends on what you mean by “military” and what you mean by “deployed.”

The only thing that’s prohibited is using “active duty federal” troops for civilian law enforcement; and even that is possible on the direct order of the president. The law covering that is “Posse Comitatus.”

That leaves the National Guard (which belongs to the individual states) at the disposal of the individual state governors for whatever task they deem fit. It also leaves the entirety of the military (active duty, National Guard, reserves, and auxiliaries) for all tasks other than law enforcement (both Navy hospital ships are currently assisting and so are several Army medical units) It also leaves all of the active duty bases that have always been stationed on US soil: literally hundreds, if not thousands, of bases with the vast majority of all active duty troops (there are roughly 1.4 million active duty military members and only a bit over 165,000 of them are stationed overseas)

All that said, the exemption the governors gave to military (and their lack of authority I mentioned) are about everyday movement of troops: not deployments.

Last edited:
Reactions: petrochemicals

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
In the Finnish news tonight was an observation that brits are helping each other now more than in normal circumstances. Any local sightings?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not sure if that’s good news or bad news. On the one hand it seems good that people are being kind and helpful. On the other it seems bad that anybody’s actually out where they can see it.

Just asking , Have you ever lived in the UK? or has TLM ?? Just asking.

There is a lot of organic grass roots Mutual Support that has sprung up since the Covid 19 threat made its footfall on British Soil. There is as much digital/remote assistance and support as there are people who are able to providing services in a manner that follows suggested protocols to limit exposure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE