The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Have you eber tried the Carrned range, its vitually deserted in comparison, the a5 at Idwal is a carpark. Maybe because you cant really see the peaks from the road, or maybe because of the long walk from the road its not well peopled. The short route up from idwal is very precarious.

Yes, I agree, very peaceful (sshh… don't tell anyone :)). I once overnighted at Llyn Cwn on Glyder Fawr in white out conditions, then descended the Devil's Kitchen and up the other side to Carnedd Dafydd and Carnedd Llewelyn - I don't think my knees are up for it now though :(.

Reactions: petrochemicals

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
True. That bovine wasn’t there to be worshiped. It’s waiting it’s turn to be sacrificed.

I was under the impression that Texans’ response to Coronavirus was to sacrifice its elderly citizens on the altar of Mammon! ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
reason being if a face mask can stop it then surely face masks would be necessary in daily life especially when going out.

This youtube thing is about how South Korea is dealing with it, better than we are by the way.
It covers the age groups most likely to be seriously affected.
The possibility of re-infection
Mask usage and why the WHO is saying for the public not to use them (basically they want them saved for the people who need em most).
Droplet transmission and how long it can last on various surfaces.
[video=youtube;gAk7aX5hksU]

Reactions: Trig

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was under the impression that Texans’ response to Coronavirus was to sacrifice its elderly citizens on the altar of Mammon! ;)

Fortunately for the world, Texas is run by it’s elderly citizens. That said, he’s correct: most working people, including the elderly, would rather be back at work and distrust being told they can’t. Especially the self employed and small business owners.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
Have you eber tried the Carrned range, its vitually deserted in comparison, the a5 at Idwal is a carpark. Maybe because you cant really see the peaks from the road, or maybe because of the long walk from the road its not well peopled. The short route up from idwal is very precarious.
Best not wander around at the moment. North Wales Police are stopping people and checking on how essential journeys are.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
This youtube thing is about how South Korea is dealing with it, better than we are by the way.
Mask usage and why the WHO is saying for the public not to use them (basically they want them saved for the people who need em most).

Thats a good video. Didnt expect to watch it all,but i did. Explains and answers every question well.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

Still don't quite understand how SK are showing themselves as they are, they might be testing more people but testing isn't the answer it's the action afterwards that's the solution

what are they doing to thoses tested positive? A massive percentage will show no/little symptoms to almost make the test a false positive

If a person tests negative today when/ at what point do they test them again - a massive part of the issue with this virus is transmission is during the mild symptom/unknown carrier phase

i just don't quite trust their data

and I trust China's current numbers even less

don't even get me started on the masks drama, a piece of cotton over your mouth isn't worth the sweat on your upper lip

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Best not wander around at the moment. North Wales Police are stopping people and checking on how essential journeys are.
I have to say if you have a letter from the NhS you are far better going to somewhere like that. My dad has one, he lives alone and apparently hes got to keep the isolation up until december, I am more worried about his sanity than anything else !

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
To be honest Snowden is a desecrated and spoilt treasure anyway. I haven't been up in years because of the crowds there most of the time (and there's a bl**dy railway and café on it); to most of them it's just another hill to 'bag' and tick off the list. I prefer to climb the Glyders and watch the ants crawling over Snowden from afar.

Ooh, actually, maybe Snowden will be empty now - I wonder how I could get there unseen :)

I can’t see them ever getting rid of the railway and cafe on Yr Wyddfa but there is growing pressure to get rid of the scruffy cafe on the top of PyF! :)

BC462E1B-7EB9-49CA-A3E7-A5BEAD69F47A.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: crosslandkelly

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Still don't quite understand how SK are showing themselves as they are, they might be testing more people but testing isn't the answer it's the action afterwards that's the solution

what are they doing to thoses tested positive? A massive percentage will show no/little symptoms to almost make the test a false positive

If a person tests negative today when/ at what point do they test them again - a massive part of the issue with this virus is transmission is during the mild symptom/unknown carrier phase

don't even get me started on the masks drama, a piece of cotton over your mouth isn't worth the sweat on your upper lip

Testing and follow up action are parts of the solution. Neither works without the other. In addition to massive testing, and efficient reports, they have been doing very thorough contact tracing. It is basically the same measures seen in Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore, you test, you quarantine, you monitor people's movements, you contact everyone who has had contact with someone your testing shows positive, you go to them and tell them they are under quarantine...and your enforcement laws have teeth to ensure people follow the instructions. There is no reason not to believe the figures. The undercurrent news isn't that they are falsifying their numbers, it is in how they are achieving those numbers. A big surge in mass and targeted surveillance.

There are lots of news stories that explain exactly how the Asian countries that have done well have done so.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Err, did you even watch that Youtube thing?
Seems to me it answered most of your questions.

Testing, contact tracing, mask usage, isolating affected people, transmission via mucas membranes so faceshields being good for medical staff, droplet transmission, aerosol transmission in confined spaces yada yada yada.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Err, did you even watch that Youtube thing?
Seems to me it answered most of your questions.

Testing, contact tracing, mask usage, isolating affected people, transmission via mucas membranes so faceshields being good for medical staff, droplet transmission, aerosol transmission in confined spaces yada yada yada.

Had to listen top it again becasue I was sure they weren't and they weren't

My point is many will continue to be at risk of exposure - healthcare workers such as myself for instance - whats the plan there?

The test we really need is the antibody test so we can workout who in the workforce and greater population is immune and isolate the rest.

Korean style if you like...

Reactions: GuestD

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
South Korea is the one to watch. They had their first diagnosed case the same time as the US.

April 1 (GMT)
  • 101 new cases and 3 new deaths in South Korea.
April 1 (GMT)
  • alert
    25952 new cases and 1040 new deaths in the United States.

• Wow
Reactions: Robson Valley

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Comparing South Korea to the US or anywhere in Western Europe is apples to oranges. Compared to the US it’s an extremely small area and compared to most western nations it’s citizens tend not to travel far from home anyway. Yes we need to take isolation more seriously but enforcing it in a western nation is another matter. Florida begins a mandatory stay home order this coming Friday but it will be largely ignored.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

South Korea tested hundreds of thousands and locked everyone up regardless of the result people here couldn't even grasp the consept of social distancing or sensibly keeping a stock of food incase of an emergency

SK may have haulted it for a while but they are still vunerable if enough of the population have avoided the virus its still a viable risk over there. The only ways to control the disease is herd immunity or a vaxcine

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE