The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The basic science/medical fact at the moment would appear to be;
View attachment 57771
Agreed about using more concrete terms. That said, why would I want to go shopping even more often than my normal 2 to 3 week interval? And why would any of us completely stay home vs walking alone or with a family member/house mate or with a pet? (Which happen to be the official recommendations by the way)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Those two a not known medical authorities of any kind. Outdoors seems not to be dangerous but meeting people is. Lone walks.
Actually the bulk of the staff on those companies are indeed research doctors. Probably more knowledgeable (and more authoritative) than practicing doctors.

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It's gonna be tough for us all and particularly those who are active outdoor types.
With the last few sunny days I've wanted to get out and about to watch spring unfurl. It gives me a lot of joy.... but we do have to curb our gypsy feet and take it seriously.
In my opinion had stricter measures been taken earlier it might have cut down isolation time but who knows if I'm right.? We have not faced anything like this for 100 yr and life is dramatically different to those days.
We have to hang tough. It won't be nice but what can we do but be sensible and stick to the new rules.
I'm in week four now... that's a month without face to face interaction of any sort with many more to go. I'm also alone so I can only talk by phone to a few friends. It's hard but I'm keeping positive and cheerful .
I do get moments of panic.... I want to get out of here now!!!!.... but I just have to tell myself it's not safe and find something to do.
I have a new motto.
Be resigned, resourceful, and happy. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's gonna be tough for us all and particularly those who are active outdoor types.
With the last few sunny days I've wanted to get out and about to watch spring unfurl. It gives me a lot of joy.... but we do have to curb our gypsy feet and take it seriously.
In my opinion had stricter measures been taken earlier it might have cut down isolation time but who knows if I'm right.? We have not faced anything like this for 100 yr and life is dramatically different to those days.
We have to hang tough. It won't be nice but what can we do but be sensible and stick to the new rules.
I'm in week four now... that's a month without face to face interaction of any sort with many more to go. I'm also alone so I can only talk by phone to a few friends. It's hard but I'm keeping positive and cheerful .
I do get moments of panic.... I want to get out of here now!!!!.... but I just have to tell myself it's not safe and find something to do.
I have a new motto.
Be resigned, resourceful, and happy. :)
We can do what we need regarding self isolation. However those shopping trips still need to be made whatever the locally recommended frequency. In turn the stores will still need to be replenished and that in turn means store workers will be out daily and so will suppliers (truckers, etc.) Those truck drivers have to eat which means the truck stops will have to still need to be open at least serving take out) even if we as private individuals order more of our personal supplies on,line and the suppliers deliver it by drones they still have to move it around the country to replenish their warehouses.

What does that mean in the bigger picture? Simply put, it means we can lessen face to face contact and cross country movement and “flatten the curve” but we can’t “close the tap” as some have suggested we do.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Those two a not known medical authorities of any kind. Outdoors seems not to be dangerous but meeting people is. Lone walks.
No but they're only repeating the scientific and medical advice from those who are experts in the relevant fields. I believe even Johnson's most strident opponents acknowledge he's not making the real decisions on covid 19.

Btw I doubt anyone claims to be a medical authority in these matters. Unless you're meaning medical institutions as a whole. Say an epidemiologists institute or NHS or nice, etc.

Lone walks are great but unless you live in a remote place you'll need to travel to places away from people. Loads of walks near us but all start and finish in busy areas. Even further afield in the lakes you're contacting with people from petrol stations to other walkers. All low risk but still more risk than at home.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
We can do what we need regarding self isolation. However those shopping trips still need to be made whatever the locally recommended frequency. In turn the stores will still need to be replenished and that in turn means store workers will be out daily and so will suppliers (truckers, etc.) Those truck drivers have to eat which means the truck stops will have to still need to be open at least serving take out) even if we as private individuals order more of our personal supplies on,line and the suppliers deliver it by drones they still have to move it around the country to replenish their warehouses.

What does that mean in the bigger picture? Simply put, it means we can lessen face to face contact and cross country movement and “flatten the curve” but we can’t “close the tap” as some have suggested we do.

Reactions: santaman2000

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Merkel and Johnson are polticians, that means that any info and advice they get goes through political philtering before being formed into some kind of policies. How many non-political independent medical institutions are there? If I see any info from one I'll certainly read that and give it preference over government info.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Merkel and Johnson are polticians, that means that any info and advice they get goes through political philtering before being formed into some kind of policies. How many non-political independent medical institutions are there? If I see any info from one I'll certainly read that and give it preference over government info.
My apologies. I was thinking of the pharmaceutical companies with similar names.

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I do wish famous people would shut up.
It's easy to self isolate and advise the rest of us when you are rich.
Stop advising the rest of us and please "flock elsewhere"

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Like it or not, famous people are seen as role models. It would be no better if they DIDN'T self isolate and were seen visibly paying no heed to the plight of those around them with less access to help and top medical services.

Reactions: MrEd

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
OK, I'm coming to this a bit late and it's with my Admin/Owner hat, on, I've been reading through the posts and plenty of them are ok, ouse of them a bit, Umm and others don't really have a place at all.
Please, unless things get so out of hand that people are shooting each other for food and water do not bring guns into the conversation, it's pointless and out there for most of us, if you want a conversation about guns start a new thread or do it on a gun forum.
Prepping, some conversation is sort of fair enough, we're at a point in life where it can be a consideration, those that have storage etc are sitting happy (no, there's no need to talk about their need of guns so they stay happy :naughty:)
Also, be nice to people, even though many of you are showing a thicker skin I'd expect, the tone is sometimes not nice, condescension towards others that have a different opinion isn't necessary.

Ultimately we're all in this together to some degree or other and in my not so many, but enough, years of life I've learned that the only people that we really have control over and have choices with are ourselves, so how we conduct ourselves is key, what someone else does is not controlled by us to vilifying people for things they've done different is pointless.

I was going to prune some of the posts but that's a lot of effort when you're all capable of moderating yourselves, and if you're not don't post because I really don't want to be getting heavy handed with anyone, I want our forums to be a safe retreat for everyone, a place to escape. That's mostly down to you.

Thanks all
T

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I live in a household of two adults and a 7 year old. We're healthy, active, outdoors types. Are we supposed to barricade ourselves at home too? There's a lot on here giving n out their views on what people should do
So in the UK, the advice for people in your situation is to do social distancing but not self-isolation. So by all means take the dog and kid out for walks etc, just don't stop to chat to people, don't go to crowded areas and don't travel (far) to get there. Also avoid the elderly and ppl in high risk groups. I'd avoid going shopping etc more than necessary and maybe don't take the kid to playgrounds but the woods/beach or something. Wash hands after touching anything others have touched.

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
So in the UK, the advice for people in your situation is to do social distancing but not self-isolation. So by all means take the dog and kid out for walks etc, just don't stop to chat to people, don't go to crowded areas and don't travel (far) to get there. Also avoid the elderly and ppl in high risk groups. I'd avoid going shopping etc more than necessary and maybe don't take the kid to playgrounds but the woods/beach or something. Wash hands after touching anything others have touched.
So basically don't panic and carry on mostly how we already do anyway.

We're not big social animals, we don't like shopping more than necessary, and we tend not to visit elderly family members (parents) more than necessary for good relations. We always have washed hands on returning home. Heck! My partner even changes into home clothes.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Has anyone watched the full version of Ground Hog Day? After getting stuck in the same day, forever repeated, Phil Connors first acted up, stole, slept around and was a self centered glutton. Then he got bored, depressed and tried many creative ways to end his life, including driving off a cliff in a car driven by a woodchuck. Eventually he started using the time on his hands to do things he had never had time for, learning language, music, medicine...ice sculpture... and helping the community.

Today my company has said we should all be working from home...IT systems permitting (which probably means we are all going to be back in the office on and off at some point). I would have preferred to carry on in the office. There is a lot of space and no problem keeping distance. On the plus side, even with the empty roads, it is still a 32minute drive each way, so I will have a whole hour extra per day to do something useful with.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I decided I was going to have a "going out" set of trousers. That way I don't have to worry about fishing things out of my pockets when at home, having also fished things out while out, after having touched doors or key pads.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
One trick I've learned of is to wear plastic lightweight rain gear that can be quickly and easily washed down with bleach or dettol and left to dry outside the house . So preventing bringing infected clothing into the home.
You might look a bit silly on a warm dry day...... but who cares if it keeps the bug out of the home.!

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Here's a fairly concise explanation;

The new coronavirus is an evil genius. This is how it works in your body.
The deadly new coronavirus is little more than a packet of genetic material surrounded by a spiky protein shell one-thousandth the width of an eyelash, and it leads such a zombielike existence that it’s barely considered a living organism.
But as soon as it gets into a human airway, the virus hijacks our cells to create millions more versions of itself.
There is a certain evil genius to how this coronavirus pathogen works: It finds easy purchase in humans without them knowing. Before its first host even develops symptoms, it is already spreading its replicas everywhere, moving onto its next victim. It is powerfully deadly in some but mild enough in others to escape containment.
SARS-CoV-2 dwells in the upper respiratory tract, where it is easily sneezed or coughed onto its next victim. But in some patients, it can lodge itself deep within the lungs, where the disease can kill. That combination gives it the contagiousness of some colds, along with some of the lethality of its close molecular cousin SARS, which caused a 2002-2003 outbreak in Asia.
When viruses encounter a host, they use proteins on its surfaces to unlock and invade its unsuspecting cells. Then they take control of those cells’ own molecular machinery to produce and assemble the materials needed for more viruses.
“It’s switching between alive and not alive,” said Gary Whittaker, a Cornell University professor of virology. He described a virus as being somewhere “between chemistry and biology.”

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
SARS-CoV-2 is well used mr deekin. That's the real name for the virus and COVID-19 is the disease caused by it. We all seem to use the covid 19 tag for the virus it seems to me which is technically wrong.

For example when talking about avoiding the virus with hygiene and social distancing we should be using the SARS cov 2 not covid 19. When talking about people on ventilators, being ill and dying we should use covid 19. Media gets that wrong imho.

Of course one point I would make about your post and the quoted comments. All virus' replicate using cells they've entered to do the work not just sars cov 2. It's a very simple option for replication where the viral component doesn't need to provide the energy I guess needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE