The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If all three magazines of the Mini 14 run dry and so do al theee magazines of the primary handgun plus the two magazines of the backup; then there’s always a fallback to the bayonet.

Bayonet Bolas

I just know there's a picatinny mount pistol bayonet out there somewhere lol

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I was out in our local Tesco super store at 6:30 this morning...and it was very busy. I ended up standing in a queue for the check out that ran down the front isle then turned down the far wall and up the drinks isle. Not too much in short supply. There seemed plenty of bread, although no flour, milk was a bit short, but I was able to pick up all that my aged parents had asked for. Will be running a box of perishables up to them tomorrow afternoon...not staying, leaving it on the drive for them to take in and wipe down.

Saw a few people wearing masks, but saw more who really haven't got a grip on either social distancing nor not touching their face. One spotty herbert (I don't think he worked there) walked past me whilst smearing his nose first on the heal of his hand, then the back of it :yuck:. An older chap in the check-out wiped his hand all around his face two or three times, giving his nose a good mush in the process. In other shops people were stood as close together as ever. In the open air market I stood a couple of long paces back from the folk in front, only to turn around and find some sniffly 50+ year old woman less than an arms length behind me, I took a very pointed step away and the side, opening the distance between us without getting closer to the people in front and she blooming went to follow me...till I put up a hand and her husband said something in her ear.

Some are getting it though. Wearing gloves, keeping distance, opening doors with elbows and dousing hands in disinfectant before getting into their cars to drive home. Seems like it is only around 50% +/-10% who appeared to really be trying.

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
In Swedish news this morning, the different strategy on Wuhan virus Sweden has taken has got at least a partial explanation. They are putting the economy first and people second.

After six months we can then compare which way was better.

In an another way it'll be an interesting social psychology experiment on how much the rulers can screw the population before it is too much.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, but we have a crowded island with people locked down in their homes, cheek to jowl, that would normally be in the pub, at a football match, dining out etc. etc. How long do you think they'll all stand it before we have social unrest? :)

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In Swedish news this morning, the different strategy on Wuhan virus Sweden has taken has got at least a partial explanation. They are putting the economy first and people second.

In an another way it'll be an interesting social psychology experiment on how much the rulers can screw the population before it is too much.
China‘s economy depends on cheap labor: their people ARE their economy.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
They are putting the economy first and people second.
It hasn't occurred to them without people, there will be no economy ?

Same initial approach in the UK, thankfully the cold reality is sinking in, and politicians are working together, and thankfully independent governors in the US are acting independently of their "leader".

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Is it still considered isolation when you get in range? By the way, the idea is much, much older than that

Perhaps a better question would be is continued isolation a legitimate reason to use it?

Oh I knew classical weapons have incorporated bayonet type attachments of course.....it was more the tacticool/picatinny/glock/ka-bar kind of tomfoolery people wouldn't be able to resist

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Perhaps a better question would be is continued isolation a legitimate reason to use it?

Oh I knew classical weapons have incorporated bayonet type attachments of course.....it was more the tacticool/picatinny/glock/ka-bar kind of tomfoolery people wouldn't be able to resist
Oh, I knew what you meant about the tactical gadgetry mentality. I expect one day they’ll still put a bayonet lug of some type on a phaser pistol also.

as for a legitimate reason to use a weapon, I doubt isolation in and of itself would count. Generally on self defense or defense of another justifies lethal force (and even then only if the attacker may be reasonably believed to pose a threat of death or “serious bodily harm”) That said, pretty much every state presumes that if someone continues to try to come into your home after being ordered to leave then the homeowner is justified in ”reasonably believing” his or her life is in danger.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It hasn't occurred to them without people, there will be no economy ?

Same initial approach in the UK, thankfully the cold reality is sinking in, and politicians are working together, and thankfully independent governors in the US are acting independently of their "leader".
State governors are SUPPOSED to be the ones making these decisions. The states have sovereignty that the federal government is not supposed to usurp. And as the liberal governors are finally admitting, what works in NY is highly inappropriate for the rural west. Thankfully the current President understands this whereas the previous one violated it at every opportunity.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeup, there's folks out there in them back woods that would sooner fill a pilgrim in need full a lead than give them a fill a wholesome food.
Backwoods my foot. I live in what is best described as a small town suburb and I have lived in. City apartment before. If anyone comes into my home either through a locked door or continues to enter after being ordered to leave you can depend on him being carried out on a gurney.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Backwoods my foot. I live in what is best described as a small town suburb and I have lived in. City apartment before. If anyone comes into my home either through a locked door or continues to enter after being ordered to leave you can depend on him being carried out on a gurney.
Nice

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Exactly: after six months we “may” be able to compare. A totally crashed economy (and at the moment that’s neither assured no ruled out) means everybody’s savings and jobs are completely gone. Think government should step in to tide them over for years until the economy recovers?
No jobs = No taxable income
No jobs or savings = No spending = No VAT
No taxable income + No VAT = No government revenue
No government revenue = No social programs and vastly reduced capacity for essential services

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
No jobs = No taxable income
No jobs or savings = No spending = No VAT
No taxable income + No VAT = No government revenue
No government revenue = No social programs
Somehow that has not sunk in to the local Social Democrats who are mostly in power now. For a long while their basic assumption has been that taxes can always be raised.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yep, but we have a crowded island with people locked down in their homes, cheek to jowl, that would normally be in the pub, at a football match, dining out etc. etc. How long do you think they'll all stand it before we have social unrest? :)
The size of the island isn’t the real issue if you’re staying home. In this case even in a larger, more sparsely populated area the effects of cabin fever will set in as per this image https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10222604429965804&set=gm.1135905580075283&type=3

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE