The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Wow! That’s pretty rude. We’re all feeling it, there’s no need for abuse. Myself and my wife haven’t stockpiled anything, we have sensible amount of food in tins, some fresh and some frozen stuff, one packet of 9 toilet rolls and some kitchen roll. Shopping is about to be done online, I’ve been using the Scan and Shop so far, to reduce contact for myself and store staff, but as from today it’s online only or click/collect. Additions to our online shopping list have been offered to neighbours so the van needs to make one stop only. I like and care about my community ;)

no need to justify yourself to me, i like and care about my community aswell.

Reactions: Nice65
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
True, though the canaries are looking a little worried. Whilst he media is paying a lot of attention to the mortality rate this is only half the equation, so far the figure for rate of infection is being played much closer to the chest.

Seeing a lot of empty spaces on the shelves of most stores this morning. Thankfully bread, milk and are still abundant.
View attachment 57720

bread milk are delivered daily, plus the fact that by now there are freezers full of the stuff. My thoughts are how much will end up in the bin of this panic buying ?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think you have the right to ask to go part-time, but your Employer does not have to grant your request.There may be exceptions to this for example, if you look after young children, and your request was denied, and you found out some one else is working part time for the same reason then you could have a claim for discrimination. But in reality this would probably lead to trouble in the workplace. If your Employer granted your request to go part-time there is no guarantee you could revert back to full-time work, if your Employer didn't want you to.
All part time workers have the same rights as full-time workers, regarding pay, holidays etc, and obviously on a pro rat basis.
There maybe some legislation put in place by the Govt because of the Corona Virus outbreak, that will protect the rights of workers that may have to look after their children because of the Govt action to close schools, we will have to see. You could contact your MP and ask him to put pressure on the Govt, as I am sure he/she must be aware of the situation.
Incidentally Job sharing is a different matter altogether, even though it does allow employee's to , on the face of it work on a part time basis, the Employer's interests are covered on a full time basis.
In normal times there's one employee on part time due to childcare. So in these special times I think there's no reason not to allow part time to the only other person with childcare issues. All other employees have kids old enough to look after themselves (many work for the company too) or a partner who doesn't work. I'm the exception but I'm part of the management and involved in others to grow the company. We need that right now so I'm in demand it seems.

They wanted me to work from home on the days I was planning to go unpaid. Having a young child in the important early years of schooling i can't do that. Education is too important and we intend to try and keep our son's education going. My partner taught English in a previous life and I'm a generalist who can help him with anything from science, outdoors topics to maths. It can't be left to fall into an extended holiday for him. Structure and growth if that's not pretentious.

So whilst I doubt it'll come to this but I'd walk if I had to. I cannot stick a KS1 kid in front of a tv or playing on a tablet while I worked from home.

Just worked out my drop in salary, back of an envelope calculation. It's not as bad as I thought. Even with a salary clawback next payday. It would be nice if UK government copied most European countries with paying 75 to 80% of UK worker's pay during the crisis.

My partner can work the hours of the day she wants I can't. Office hours (plus overtime when needed) only. Things happen in working hours, I'm needed to reply in working hours.

Boss isn't happy with my part time but he seemed a bit more relaxed when I made clear it's only due to this pandemic. Full time when son goes back to school.

Not helped by customer shutdowns due to the virus. Probably going on half hours for everyone soon. It's bad, really bad times.

These are unusual times. Everyone needs to work things out as things change.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
bread milk are delivered daily, plus the fact that by now there are freezers full of the stuff. My thoughts are how much will end up in the bin of this panic buying ?
In our local supermarket the frozen pizza ran out first. Pretty sensible as panic buying goes when you think about it.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Being realistic, nobody, including our governments, really know where this is going. As someone who has travelled in inhospitable areas in the past, where sustenance is more important than gourmet meals, think, how much space does a frozen pizza take compared with dried foods. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
We are a long way off from electricity going off. So frozen food is not a really bad idea. Which does not mean that there are better things to hoard.

Reactions: santaman2000

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A lot of people had an idea what would come. Most of those were in no position to affect the government response.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
As what is becoming more and more evident, everyone on social media has an opinion. Best to stick to the one that works for you.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
That is not really a new phenomenon. As to the latter I don't quite see how an opinion would work for anyone.

I have quite a quite a few friends that are medical doctors, most had a fairly good idea what would happen. They also guessed that for several reasons western governments would not act in time. Cynical lot.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Frozen pizza sensible, really ?
It's got the carbs, fat and proteins, some veg on there too perhaps. Will not spoil before you're likely to eat it and packs well in the freezer. Easy to make even if you're ill, and kids likely to eat it several times a week without complaining. So yeah, pretty sensible. :)

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Being realistic, nobody, including our governments, really know where this is going. As someone who has travelled in inhospitable areas in the past, where sustenance is more important than gourmet meals, think, how much space does a frozen pizza take compared with dried foods. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
That’s one of pizza’s advantages: it’s flat and stacks well.

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE