The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am aware it's all becoming clearer now to everyone but you wouldn't have asked your original question if you really did have a grasp of what was about to happen back then.

IIRC the only question I have asked on here is if you were bothering to enrol on the free Futurelearn course on the subject. I would not come on a 'Bushcraft' chat forum asking advice on how to deal with a pandemic (no disrespect to all the great many members on here that have a wide range of knowledge on lots of subjects :)).

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
No-one has a crystal ball.
True, though the canaries are looking a little worried. Whilst he media is paying a lot of attention to the mortality rate this is only half the equation, so far the figure for rate of infection is being played much closer to the chest.

Seeing a lot of empty spaces on the shelves of most stores this morning. Thankfully bread, milk and are still abundant.
IMAG3578.jpg

Navaja

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2016
Spain/UK
I'm seriously considering another strategy. On the basis that we are all, probably, likely to get it at some stage and at different levels, I think it would be best if I got it now whilst there is plenty of medicine (paracetamol) and hospital beds (just in case) rather than be one of many thousands with it in May.

I'm referring to this. Still a good idea is it? And why May?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm referring to this. Still a good idea is it? And why May?

I wasn't asking a question or seeking advice; I was proposing a different personal strategy.

Yes it would have been and possibly still is a good idea. My chances of surviving this are high therefor to get it early, self isolate (easy for me to do where I live) so I was clear of it and then be able to support my family when they get it was/is a very sound strategy. OK, I admit there maybe small risks but I've been taking risks all my life. The only problem to the strategy is I have no 100% sure access to the infection and I would need to know that I had it for it to work.

Enrolled yet?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
What's the difference between social distancing and self isolation?

One thing I think is interesting, national trust are closing their buildings but making access to gardens free. I think that allows for social distancing and exercise. So long as I'm 2m away from you then we can both walk around sizergh castle gardens or a nice walk up coniston old man.

Self isolation has more images of the recluse hiding away with the curtains drawn. Next week I'm planning on splitting child care duties with my partner. We're both thinking going half time at work is the only fair option. I just need work to agree to it. That's half pay until schools open again. Is shoot creek a nice place for a paddle?!!!

On the positive side, we've got no plans for self isolating only social distancing. As long as they don't ban travel we're likely to be spending our non- working days entertaining our 7 year old in the great outdoors. The lakes is big enough and open enough to avoid other people. Would it be ok for a wild camp? I hope so.

As you can see my pov view is that this situation is so messed up but that doesn't mean you can't keep positive. Look for the positives and hold them closer than the negatives. If that's burying our heads in the sand then I disagree respectfully. We shouldn't let our current situation beat us into depression and negativity. Pint half full with the home bar still serving into the lock in. That's my view on this. Positivity, we need it!
roughly:
Social distancing - avoid people (other than those in your household) and minimise time in shops etc. Don't go to any group activities. Walks etc fine but don't go on a camping holiday
Self-isolation- stay at home, avoid all face to face contact with people, if ill avoid all non-sick people even at home, don't go to any shops at all.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
roughly:
Walks etc fine but don't go on a camping holiday

Can you explain that bit for me please? Why would camping, where you can stay away from others and cater for yourself, be bad? I can see that travelling around the country itself may be considered bad as it could increase spread; is that the reason?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I asked to go half time with drop in pay because I've got to look after my son. Reply was they're not dropping pay but those days I'm looking after son (7yo) I've got to work during normal working hours. That's impossible so I've got a confrontation coming. Sorry, negotiation.

Anyone got any knowledge on the employment law relating to this or experience of this negotiation/ matter? Any advice?

There's just so much going on with this Corona virus and it's after effects. Health isn't the only thing it affects. I really wouldn't want to be a government s6oecial advisor on this. How can you capture all its effects and impacts? I hate it all! It's not knowing what it's happening, what your rights, what will happen and how to best negotiate your way through it all.

At the end of the day, after going part time could the company decide it works for them and stop me going back to full time after schools reopen?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Can you explain that bit for me please? Why would camping, where you can stay away from others and cater for yourself, be bad? I can see that travelling around the country itself may be considered bad as it could increase spread; is that the reason?
Presumably because you will have increased contacts when buying provision, fuelling up/ public transport to get there and back and shared facilities with less ability to maintain areas clean. Plus just the act of people travelling around will increase risk of spread.
Then of course if you were to fall ill or have an accident while away, there'll be more contact opportunities. Plus if you need treatment outside your normal health board then you're putting added pressure on that board and if they're a rural place they might not have that much added capacity and certainly not included any influx of travellers in their calculations.

So if you've got a local woods that you can go to for an overnight stay, by all means do that, but don't go travelling cross-country when there's a no non-essential travels advice in force.

Reactions: santaman2000

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Presumably because you will have increased contacts when buying provision, fuelling up/ public transport to get there and back and shared facilities with less ability to maintain areas clean. Plus just the act of people travelling around will increase risk of spread.
Then of course if you were to fall ill or have an accident while away, there'll be more contact opportunities. Plus if you need treatment outside your normal health board then you're putting added pressure on that board and if they're a rural place they might not have that much added capacity and certainly not included any influx of travellers in their calculations.

So if you've got a local woods that you can go to for an overnight stay, by all means do that, but don't go travelling cross-country when there's a no non-essential travels advice in force.

I take your point; a bit like my comment about second home owners and caravan owners coming into the area.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I think you have the right to ask to go part-time, but your Employer does not have to grant your request.There may be exceptions to this for example, if you look after young children, and your request was denied, and you found out some one else is working part time for the same reason then you could have a claim for discrimination. But in reality this would probably lead to trouble in the workplace. If your Employer granted your request to go part-time there is no guarantee you could revert back to full-time work, if your Employer didn't want you to.
All part time workers have the same rights as full-time workers, regarding pay, holidays etc, and obviously on a pro rat basis.
There maybe some legislation put in place by the Govt because of the Corona Virus outbreak, that will protect the rights of workers that may have to look after their children because of the Govt action to close schools, we will have to see. You could contact your MP and ask him to put pressure on the Govt, as I am sure he/she must be aware of the situation.
Incidentally Job sharing is a different matter altogether, even though it does allow employee's to , on the face of it work on a part time basis, the Employer's interests are covered on a full time basis.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Well I asked to go half time with drop in pay because I've got to look after my son. Reply was they're not dropping pay but those days I'm looking after son (7yo) I've got to work during normal working hours. That's impossible so I've got a confrontation coming. Sorry, negotiation.

Anyone got any knowledge on the employment law relating to this or experience of this negotiation/ matter? Any advice?

There's just so much going on with this Corona virus and it's after effects. Health isn't the only thing it affects. I really wouldn't want to be a government s6oecial advisor on this. How can you capture all its effects and impacts? I hate it all! It's not knowing what it's happening, what your rights, what will happen and how to best negotiate your way through it all.

At the end of the day, after going part time could the company decide it works for them and stop me going back to full time after schools reopen?

I'd hate to be a business owner at this time as well. There's little point in being charitable if it is likely to end up in the business collapsing and everyone loses their job anyway.

The real problem I would see about you going part time is that there's a danger that it sets you up for redundancy when the firm cuts back because of lack of business - 'look, we managed without you so you are clearly redundant' type statement.

Is your availability during normal hours fundamental to your job? Could you work normal hours 50% and outside of normal hours the rest?

If I was till running my own business (which I did for 30 years) I would be basing the whole thing on a results basis - 'look, I need to see you at least once a week and I need these deliverable met by this time - can we achieve that?' But then, my business could allow people to work from home doing design, writing up reports, developing code etc. It all depends on whether you can 'deliver' away from work and out of hours.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Schools shut here today, so where are the children ? Clogging up every supermarket aisle with grumpy grannies and granddads panic buying. Unbelievable.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep schools finish here tomorrow. BUT, I'm told, teachers have been told they have to stay in to look after essential staff children. So, my daughter in law has to find a way for her two young kids to be looked after - does that mean she's now essential staff therefore the junior school teachers must look after her kids?

I suspect we will be having to ignore Government advice and look after them!

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Schools shut here today, so where are the children ? Clogging up every supermarket aisle with grumpy grannies and granddads panic buying. Unbelievable.
Here you are picking on the "Old People" again, in fact the Govt has already said children should not go to their Grandparents because they are the most vulnerable group. And I doubt they are going to clog up the supermarket aisles as there isn't much to buy, and if the kids are with their Grandparents I am sure their Grandparents know, probably through years of experience the last place you would take kids to, is a supermarket or shop, much better taking them to a park, beach or open field.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Here you are picking on the "Old People" again, in fact the Govt has already said children should not go to their Grandparents because they are the most vulnerable group. And I doubt they are going to clog up the supermarket aisles as there isn't much to buy, and if the kids are with their Grandparents I am sure their Grandparents know, probably through years of experience the last place you would take kids to, is a supermarket or shop, much better taking them to a park, beach or open field.
You'd better get up here and spread the word then.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Maybe you should do your shopping after the kids have gone to bed, and presumably their Grandparents are flaked out on the couch, ;););)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Yep schools finish here tomorrow. BUT, I'm told, teachers have been told they have to stay in to look after essential staff children. So, my daughter in law has to find a way for her two young kids to be looked after - does that mean she's now essential staff therefore the junior school teachers must look after her kids?

I suspect we will be having to ignore Government advice and look after them!

school staff have been declared as essential key workers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE