The Covid19 Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
So over reporting is best for control then but is under reporting useful for any reason? Perhaps getting close to reality is better for modelling the pandemic??

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Voter confidence or the share price of companies effected by the current closures that 'the plan' is working and 'we' will be making money again?

The value of the Pound rose when Boris left hospital

When you delve It's all mental...

We won't know what went right or wrong for years and even then people will still disagree

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
BTW there's different reporting criteria in different countries. USA has a lower death per 100,000 people than Belgium but they only record COVID deaths that the patient had a positive test for. Belgium record death as COVID if there's any possibility it was a factor. They prefer to capture every case even if that puts the error in the death figure towards the over estimation side. USA is under recording. Funnily enough there's a big suspicion Russia is doing the same with especial doubt on st Petersburg figures.

Which is better, over recording or under recording? It's not important for actual containment because they'll sterilise every room between patients no matter what caused the death. It's only important for statistics and decisions made using those statistics.
Actually I suspect most US hospitals are over reporting. They have a financial incentive as they get more funds allocated for covid deaths.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Actually I suspect most US hospitals are over reporting. They have a financial incentive as they get more funds allocated for covid deaths.
Well you might be right but in an article in a local paper to the UK explained the higher figure for Belgium Vs USA figure using the guidelines of their own government agencies that's recording these things. Apparently it's clear in those guidelines that USA is taking a less strict method of determining COVID deaths. Can't remember the source but I think it was the guardian (I understand the version of their website is different if you're based in USA so if it was them you might need to mask your location to see it).

Of course is a matter of interpretation return USA and Belgium but with Russia is simply fraud I reckon. That's my bias though, or is it???

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well you might be right but in an article in a local paper to the UK explained the higher figure for Belgium Vs USA figure using the guidelines of their own government agencies that's recording these things. Apparently it's clear in those guidelines that USA is taking a less strict method of determining COVID deaths. Can't remember the source but I think it was the guardian (I understand the version of their website is different if you're based in USA so if it was them you might need to mask your location to see it).

Of course is a matter of interpretation return USA and Belgium but with Russia is simply fraud I reckon. That's my bias though, or is it???
Who knows? The reality is the US doesn’t report at all as such. Florida reports. Alabama reports. New York reports. California reports. Etc. Etc. Etc. And each state has its own criteria and bias. All the federal government does is collect those reports. That said, I’ve mostly seen deaths attributed to Covid simply because they can and as I said, extra government funds are allocated for higher coved counts.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I suppose honesty in reporting could be a political matter. Over reporting if against Trumpian policies, under reporting if they need trump support. A red Vs blue matter perhaps????

Reactions: santaman2000

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mask up for shopping, interaction, travel. Yes, even the kitchen paper, elastic bands and stapler trick that was pooh-poohed. Countries where mask wearing is mandatory, or in the case of the respectful Japanese, have fared a lot better. Don’t argue about the filtration etc. Everyone has been slow to adopt the masking of the areas that transmit and absorb the virus.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suppose honesty in reporting could be a political matter. Over reporting if against Trumpian policies, under reporting if they need trump support. A red Vs blue matter perhaps????
I suspect you’re close, but it’s more complex than Trump. Without him the politics would still play out. Remember the governor of each state (as well as the law enforcement) is answerable to the voters every election cycle. And in most states so are the judges and indeed, the coroners.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Disappointedly I'm only being offered the IgG test and not the combined IgG/IgM test - its better than nothing but I'm

not sure why - nor why there will be a several week delay while they validate the test? particularly when Stew's had his

This whole plan seems like too many cooks to me...

especially when the government without warning changes the plan - surgical masks for all NHS works and patients - that'll last as long as the masks to - and I be that won't be a week

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Disappointedly I'm only being offered the IgG test and not the combined IgG/IgM test - its better than nothing but I'm

not sure why - nor why there will be a several week delay while they validate the test? particularly when Stew's had his

This whole plan seems like too many cooks to me...

especially when the government without warning changes the plan - surgical masks for all NHS works and patients - that'll last as long as the masks to - and I be that won't be a week

Mine did take three weeks to come back but also bear in mind that my test was part of donating plasma so the longer they left it, the longer it would be until I could donate more.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Not talking about a delay in getting my result validated they are talking about taking blood before the lab has a verified test

Very odd...

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Whole blood donation?

Yes but only a vial, all hospital staff are being offered the option

Either to test the silent carrier theory or to see if some of us had it before the official UK outbreak (from the known symptoms and contact from people who later had it I believe I had it in December)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Only certain people are being offered the test there? I’ve passed several drive through testing stations here. In the far western Panhandle alone. I haven’t felt the need to get it done though so I don’t know how long before results are back here.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Only certain people are being offered the test there? I’ve passed several drive through testing stations here. In the far western Panhandle alone. I haven’t felt the need to get it done though so I don’t know how long before results are back here.

We are talking about an Antibody test - to see if you've already had it (in my case) and to see if you have harvesable antibodies after having it (in Stews case)

currently the country is on 50-80K tests a day - this includes weekly tests for NHS frontline staff, multiple tests for those who have tested positive for C-19 and sceening tests for people about to undergo surgery and/or oncology treatments and symptom self referrals

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I presume it‘s the antibody test but I don’t really know. It is with a nasal swab. Is there another test?

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Reactions: petrochemicals

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE