Arctic/Winter Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bizmarty

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2008
Under a Tree, UK
I know some of you guys have been on Artic Expeditions etc. I'm interested in the boots that you wore. All I really know is the sole should be made of soft rubber to minimize slippage! I would like a good pair and to hear your pro's/cons on them would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Soft rubber not as neccesary as lots of room inside for extra socks and a felt insole / liner.
Unlined leather breathes better ( or canvas/ leather mukluks )
Hope this helps.
Chris.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
I wore the Sorel Blizzard 2's and 2 x sizes larger than needed.
Good to minus 40 with supplied 10mm liners...with the 13mm Glacier liners they were good for around minus 60.....needless to say did not need the extra liners.
Never had cold feet :)

Extra size is important as need room for layers to trap air...also must not be tight around ankle / calf as it will restrict blood flow.

Tom

3998558280_9302d0b283.jpg

3998558412_9cb4e89eb4.jpg

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
would they not be warm/padded enough with one thick pair of socks?

Better to have 2 x medium thick socks as layers....better still a medium and thin layer...(combined they protect you as much or more than a single thick pair.
Also if you find your feet get too hot.....you can take a layer off.....cannot do this with a single thick layer....!

Cheers
Tom

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
In real cold a pair of Sami reindeer hide boots, or home made snow moccasins (like the ones in Conovers book, or on RMs feet in Northern Wilderness). I have a pair of Empire Canvas Works mukluks on order, I hope to get them by winter. I have worn a pair of Nokian winter wellies (with a removable felt liner) before, but they died after many years; they vere fairly flexible, and I would not like a stiffer boot. I hear the Canadian forces mukluk is also quite flexible.

I have a pair of Sorrels, but they do not encourage movement of the foot, and my achilles tendons have grown sensitive to lashed up boots after a bad achilles tendon inflamation, even over 5 years later.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
A while back I went to Finland and we pretty much all had different boots and I can say that the biggest issue was having dry feet, not from melting snow and ice but from sweat. I would avoid any of the crazy -100C boots (because your feet will sweat as soon as you walk anywhere) as well as those with built in gaitors (as they are a pig to dry) and go for something like the Sorel Caribou with a spare pair of liners.

It's a good idea to have a few layers of socks starting with a very thin hygenic layer that you will change often, then at least one warmth/padding sock, these will typically add a shoe-size to your feet so think carefully about sizing as the boots will be US fit anyway. While it's not the best idea for long distance walking, wearing boots slightly baggy will promote good blood circulation and maintain a better temperature.

In the long term you will be better off "comfortably cold" than toasty warm, that is to say you will know your feet are slightly chilly but not so far as to bother you, this will be the best temperature to minimise sweat, blisters and extended drying time for your boots.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,

Joe

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I have a pair of Le Cham Vierzonord Extreme boots, they are pretty fantastic, they have two layers of neoprene under the foot bed as well as felt and an aluminum insole, I seen a pair of sorl boots in canda that looked pretty good, but i have never been able to find them elsewhere, http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=FW138&ST=2 here but sold out unfortunalty, they looked like great boos, our guide had them.

Last edited:

Bizmarty

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2008
Under a Tree, UK
Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated! :)

I'm still undecided at the mo, but I will get boots with a removable liner for sure.

One question I do have, with the Sorel Caribou's there are two types of liner, one with a Removable 9mm ThermoPlus™ felt InnerBoot and the wool version with a Removable 9mm 60% felted wool/40% cotton InnerBoot.

Would the wool liner be better than the felt one or stick with just felt?? Like I said I have not decided what boot it is going to be yet, I'm still researching. :D

Helen Back

Jan 1, 2010
Stockport
I'm an amature but I thought I'd share my experience, just for perspective..

In Sweden this year I wore the Sorel Conquest - no removable liners but I was able to dry them at the end of each day, so it was never a problem (the only moisture was light sweat). I'm a wide size 9, but used 10's with Thorlos Mountaineering socks, and there was plenty of room to wiggle my tutsies. My feet were never cold (-40). Price and availability was a concern for me and at £108 I'm still happy with my purchase. They were fine cross country skiing too.

One thing I noticed was that each person had a weakness (cold spot) - mine was my cheeks (top ones that is!), but others suffered with their hands, feet, etc.

I've heard the Empire Canvas Works and Lundhag Husky for cross country skiing are about the best, but they don't come cheap.

Tight boots = cold feet :)

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I wore the Sorel Blizzard 2's and 2 x sizes larger than needed.
Good to minus 40 with supplied 10mm liners...with the 13mm Glacier liners they were good for around minus 60.....needless to say did not need the extra liners.
Never had cold feet :)

Extra size is important as need room for layers to trap air...also must not be tight around ankle / calf as it will restrict blood flow.

Tom

3998558280_9302d0b283.jpg

3998558412_9cb4e89eb4.jpg

These look the same as the ones i have another great option is Lacrosse.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE