Arctic/cold climates survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Hi, Do any UK instructors/companies other than RM run an existing arctic/cold climates survival course/trip? :?:

Thanks

Chris :wave:

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Thanks Andy, forgot about them - will take a look.

What search engine are you using, I use BBC but didn't get that.

Thanks mate.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
chris said:
What search engine are you using, I use BBC but didn't get that.
Google is the best, IMO. Extremely simple and it has advanced search and image search also. :wink: Though I use the danish one.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Thanks Andy, will try that.

:shock: Have you seen the reindeer skinning / Sami pics link on the webpage link you put up on your reply - is that bloody or what, looks a bit too hardcore for me, arggghh might give that a miss, I'm not a young man anymore.

Thanks mate,

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
chris said:
Thanks Andy, will try that.

:shock: Have you seen the reindeer skinning / Sami pics link on the webpage link you put up on your reply - is that bloody or what, looks a bit too hardcore for me, arggghh might give that a miss, I'm not a young man anymore.

Thanks mate,

I've never seen a reindeer being skinned, but I've eaten reindeer meat and it tastes superb, IMO. My parents didn't like it, cause they said it didn't have enough taste. :roll: It tastes salt, but not too much. It's perfect! :biggthump Just a thought.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Viking said:
I guess that you have eaten dried reindeer meat then, reindeer meat taste verry good but it´s not mormally very salty.
Sorry, I didn't mean salty, but only a little tip of salt... :wink: This was reindeer fresh from the freezer and then cooked... :wink: :wink: :wink: My dad got it from a friend who had shot it in Lapland I think, but not sure... :?: :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I'm no Norwegian but Swedish, Norwegian and Danish is almost the same. We understand eachothers languages 100%. :biggthump Well, I hopw so if i'm gonna translate this one... :rolmao:

'Jeger' is two things: Their Special Air Service (in denmark it's hunter-corp) or a hunter. :wink: If you're being teached by Jegers it will probably mean SAS, but if we're talking about a person who's shooting an animal it would probably be a hunter. :wink: Hope you get it.

But in this case it is their SAS. :biggthump

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Thanks Andy and Bill

The main reason I asked this was I am working in the Alps during the winter and I really just wanted to get to know who was operating in the cold extremes at the minute to ring and speak about kit, I know, selfish and using there knowledge, but - it's good to speak to people who know.

I rang the Uk Survival School and guess what (jinga) they are currently in the borneo :***::***::***::***::***::***: jungle - lucky them.

Bill, If I was wanting to do some expedition/course stuff, as an exped/mountain leader myself I would make sure I was not on a companies first trip, never as good in my experience IMHO.

Andy, they certainly look like the SAS. Hardcore stuff.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
chris said:
Bill, If I was wanting to do some expedition/course stuff, as an exped/mountain leader myself I would make sure I was not on a companies first trip, never as good in my experience IMHO.

Good point mate but then the cost means maybe you put up with a few teething problems (around half the price of going with ray mears)

I'm not committed by any means yet.

Bill

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Skinning a reindeer and then eat it it´s not hardcore, it´s the normal life for many people in that part of the region. The sami people are really good on using every part of the animal. They even use the blood and mix it with flour too make a dish called "palt". This way of using the animals blood is still used in the south too but then they make a dish called "blod pudding".

Jaeger is not the same thing as the SAS, Jaeger is just a ranger. In sweden we call them jägare but often add the word soldat (jägarsoldat) after so people will ni that it´s a soldier and not a hunter. My guess is that have used soldiers that are trained for the cold enviroment that is up there. And Andy is right on one point, Jaeger (swedish jägare) also means hunter.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Nice one guys

You Know your stuff

I'm waiting for a call back from one of their guy's who was there - not an instructor mind, but one of the exped team who uk survival school have arranged to contact me - the main guys are in the jungle - what a bloudy life.

On the pictures it shows a kind of mossy/grass stuff is that the same as arctic/reindeer moss that we get here in the uk mountains http://www.uksurvivalschool.co.uk/norwaypics/slides/Nor18.htm is thisv edible or do you need to do something with it?

Sorry guys, this is to me is very intresting and just picking brains, thanks to our viking guys. :super:
Thanks guys.

Chris :biggthump

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I thought Reindeer moss was ediable so long as it was part diegested by the Reindeer. Or am I mixing it up with something else.

Also Chris check out BearclawBushcraft they have a trip to Sweden coming up.

James

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Thanks James, but I can safetly say the first Swedish course will be held in summer and swimming in the lake will be an option!

Although we are looking at winter courses in that region too but not next year.

:chill:

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Summer, swimming in lakes mmm. sounds more up my street :lol:

I was hoping to speak to someone who's currently working on this type of stuff, I have a habit of ringing instructors/companies to pick their brains :wink: - cheeky, but one way of getting to know some of the latest tricks.

I was wondering about buriel location beacons as I have an extremme suit with a buriel beacon tag on it and would this work or be picked up by any beacon? Maybe one of you guys could help on this. :?:

I've asked some friends and they are not sure.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
jamesdevine said:
I thought Reindeer moss was ediable so long as it was part diegested by the Reindeer. Or am I mixing it up with something else.

Also Chris check out BearclawBushcraft they have a trip to Sweden coming up.

James

You might be right, I think I´ve also geard something about that rhe sami people used to eat what was in the reindeer stomah and there was always reindeer moss. But I am not sure about this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE