Archery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
If there are any archers out there that fancy attending our club's weekend shoot on 13th/14th August, near Henfield in W.Sx., please email me at holmbushfa@aol.com for some details.

NFAS Membership is required. Any archers crossing over from the dreaded target archery who are also interested, let me know and I will arrange to put you with an experienced group.

No crossbows or Crabon arrows ('cause they upset the landowner).

Any questions, please PM me.

Hope to see some of you there :)

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Wow look what you've started Rob ! Your gonna have a whole new field of er field archers to compete with !
I can't wait, a few of us had a "clout" session after majority had left the meetup. First time i'd ever tried it shooting arrows Agincourt stylee hundreds of yards up the field, great fun

Cheers
Rich

J

Jamie

Well, thanks to Rob's help, I have touched base with my local club who seem to be a nice bunch. Have been invited to a club evening in a couple of weeks time but, sensibly, they require newbies to go through a course before being allowed to shoot generally.

Really looking forward to it, and a great opportunity to meet more interesting people.

Will definitely be bringing my bow to MM and hope that others will too so that we can have a play (in safety of course!).

If theres anyone in the Wincanton area interested in hooking up as well please feel free to PM me.

Also, big thanks to Rob for the open invite - hope to see you there!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Jamie glad your joining a club they might even get you to shoot straight.

Seriously though I would advise everyone planning to harness their enthusiasm after the meet to seek further instruction.

If You can get to the Holmbush shoot with Rob your going to love it. I'm hoping to have a hand in setting the course so its not going to be simple.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
great is'nt it - moved up here over 5 years ago from bewbush crawley to extend my hiking and interest in bows and now, while there is hardly any one up here who shares my interests (in bows), there is now a whole bunch of you right in my old back yard - just typical that is!

I wonder if my old camps still exist in buchan and tilgate forest?

Cheers for the supplies links - needed some more feathers.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Womble said:
Are you in or connected with Scouts Rhapsody? If so we have a target Archery club at the Aldershot/Farnborough District HQ on Monday Evenings.

I... errr.... used to be in the Beavers, haha. Either way, there'd be no real point in starting anything like that at this moment in time, what with the exam period and lack of money due to quitting work for said exam period... ah well.

Apr 29, 2005
Hampshire
Makes me realise how fortunate I am to have access to private land for my shooting.... Guy who lives there is a champion Longbow archer too. Though I would rather have more people to pick up tips from, at least I can shoot my collection of plate armour, car doors and chainmail without causing any offence.

Also quite useful for testing my homemade bows [not very good atm :(] without any danger to other archers.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
troy said:
great is'nt it - moved up here over 5 years ago from bewbush crawley to extend my hiking and interest in bows and now, while there is hardly any one up here who shares my interests (in bows), there is now a whole bunch of you right in my old back yard - just typical that is!

I wonder if my old camps still exist in buchan and tilgate forest?

Cheers for the supplies links - needed some more feathers.

He he, tell me where they are and I will go and have a look :D

J

Jamie

right, well I had a fun evening yesterday in a field near Mere. Spent the evening with Ballands Bowmen (my local FA club) shooting at 3d targets et al. Was great fun and have been invited back (so obviously didnt shame my family) with a view to doing some training come october.

highly recommend anyone thinking of doing it to just get out there and do it, find your local club and if they're anything like the lot i was with, they will be as welcoming and helpful as anything.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Jamie said:
right, well I had a fun evening yesterday in a field near Mere. Spent the evening with Ballands Bowmen (my local FA club) shooting at 3d targets et al. Was great fun and have been invited back (so obviously didnt shame my family) with a view to doing some training come october.

highly recommend anyone thinking of doing it to just get out there and do it, find your local club and if they're anything like the lot i was with, they will be as welcoming and helpful as anything.

Glad you had good time Jamie. Field Archers are a friendly bunch :D

If anyone is planning to start shooting find a club like Jamie and seek some tutition.

J

Jamie

Tony said:
Excellent stuff mate, Jamie of the merry men! :D

just wondering when they're turning up and do they bring the party kit? also, wheres maid marion??????????

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
If any of you guys are taking your bows to the m,m moot then you might want to stop of in the wye valley field archery center its near Crick just on the welsh side of the seven bridge.

It is set in 36 acres with 31 3d and picture targets with various stages of dificulty as you go round. It is not a members club you can pay and play :D
However you must spend a short spell on the practise range first to show the owner that you can shot or if you cant you will recieve some tuition and you will only be allowed on the course if you are deemed cabable. This is not a problem for first timers as the owner say's he can teach kids to hit 60% of the targets within half an hour( he even does kids parties)

The price is £7.50 if you have your own gear and £15 extra if you want to hire the equipment. The round takes about 4 hours to get around.However there is nothing stopping you going around again as long as you inform the owner.

Now for the good bit!
I spoke to the owner and asked him if he would mind me doing a bit of wild camping and he could see no reason why not as long as I kept of the range (makes sense lol) I told him that there might be other bushcrafty like people interested and "bring them along" came the reply :D

To be Honest I have not looked around outside of the course so I do not know what land is available and thinking about it I did not see any water supply, but the thought of waking up, having breakfast and stalking 3d deer at natures pace,
out weighs any problems that I can think of :D

I Have a recurve bow about 15 years old but still good and a replica 60lb scythian bow nice and small and very fast.
I might bring it to the moot if there are going to be other archers around :D

Apr 29, 2005
Hampshire
That sounds magnificent :D

Just borrowed a 90 pound Yew longbow from a friend who can't manage it anymore, and thats exactly the kind of shooting I want to try with it.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
after having a go with Docs' bow at the north scottish meet i've bought a bow set. so i'll bring it along to the moot at M.M. see if i can do any better. and hopefully get some tuition.

Jul 18, 2005
I haven't used a bow since teens, when I used to hunt rabbit and pigeon with it, but have recently (age now 39) inherited competition kit, three boxed bows with varying power interchangeable limbs, hundreds of arrows, a butt, targets, bracers, bow stringers, etc. What is the current legal position with me using them to kill stuff, anyone, please? :confused:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Madman,
No way, no how, I'm afraid - it's been illegal for a long time to kill anything with a bow and arrow.

Adge,
I'm jealous, a decent war bow just given to you :eek: You are very lucky.

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE