Archery set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

nomadbushcraft

Here is a neolithic archery set as requested by bushwhacker bob. I made this in Gambia as a demonstration peice two years ago. the poundage of the bow is about 35lbs with a draw length of about 28 - 30 inches. I am currently making another bow from european ash, the one in the picture is made in a mandinga style from fire hardened split and cured bamboo stave.

The arrow shafts are made from green cattail stalks harvested after the cattail has dropped it's polllen these are dried (they dry spirally which serves to straighten the arrow slightly they are fitted with a short foresshaft in this case marula wood into which a flint arrow head is fitted and strengthened with sinew (bush pig in this case) the sinew is sealed with pig fat and sweat beeswax to protect it. the filghts are sea bird feathers harvested from a hyena kill.

This set took 3 bush pig, 4 baracuda with harpoon arrow not shown (from a dugout in the mangroves) and 6 guinnea fowl on a 2 week trip.

very effective hunting tool

Andrew

Attachments

• bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 302

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
That is amazing ! It really doesn't look upto the task, and 35 pounds isn't much power atall ! I guess its all just down to skill of the bowman. You must be a great stalker ! I must admit to have never used one "in anger" that is at live quarry, as unfortunately bow hunting is illegal here. Its great to know that even my relatively feeble bow is capable of providing supper.
Thanks for sharing :)
Cheers
Rich

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Coming from Chester I can confirm that it's still quite ok in English law to shoot an arrow at a Welshman from the City walls - although I would not like to be the first to challenge the old law.

I made an improvised bow and arrow from hazel, it wasn't very accurate. I had more success hitting a target by throwing sticks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE