Archery and Hand Drills...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Just had a thought after posting a picture of my belt kit...

I have some arrows in the quiver and wondered if by cutting off the tip, I could use one as a hand drill or even with the bow... well a bow drill set?

Not to sure what my arrows are made of and not too keen to destroy one to see - wondered if anyone else has tried ?

Sorry if its a silly question, just a thought really :roll:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I think it would work. :)

A bit off subject, but again not. What do you keep in the little arrow pouch?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I don't think the bow would work as it would be under way too much tension, the arrows will most likely be cedar or pine.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Ive never had a go at hand drilling but wouldnt the small diameter of the shaft spin more quickly? generating more heat?
I guess they are Cedar or Pine - DOH!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Haven't tried, but I would be almost certain it would be doomed to failure unless you introduced so many changes that it would be easier to go make a special fire set.

The arrow would have to be shortened, a lot. If left at full length you would be working with something at least 24" long and 11/32" or so thick. That is too long and too thin. So now you have a 6-9 inch bit of arrow.

You can make arrows from birch and hazel, but you would have to make them from scratch yourself, as the dowelling isn't generally available. Cedar, spruce and pine aren't generally all that good for bow drill work. You would have to be in a very sorry spot if you couldn't look around you and find a better wood growing near-by. Also, for arrows you will tend to want a smooth, maybe varnished finish to resist moisture, not good for the cord to grip. Getting a good ratio between bearing end and hearth end is harder with small diameter stop, you get the same heat at both ends.

Fire bows are meant to be inflexible and not too long, archery bows are at least 4 foot, and flex. That makes them harder to wield.

I think that the serving in the middle of a bow string would bet in the way. Also, the rubbing action would fray the bow string making it wear faster and more likely to fail as a bow string.

In an emergency, anything goes, but it might be better to find alternatives, and probably not too hard to do so.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Thanks Guys for your thoughts on it :biggthump

As I said it was just a thought - trying to make something do two things!

IIRC in a Ray Mears prog some bush men had hand-drills in their archery back quivers, think i`ll look out for a suitable piece and put it in there too :wave:

SquirrelBoy said:
Ive never had a go at hand drilling but wouldnt the small diameter of the shaft spin more quickly? generating more heat?
I guess they are Cedar or Pine - DOH!

Yes - absolutely!! I have made a small double ended socket arrangement that permits insertion of an arrow nock in one end and a short mullein plug in the other. This makes a very suitable hand drill. I can carry only the socket /adapter, a small hearth board and the mullein plugs in a small pouch. A supply of straight shafts of optimal diameter are as close as my quiver.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE