Anyone want to walk the GR10 with me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I'm toying with the idea of doing this Pyrenees route this summer in a lightweight style - hammock/tarp as I fancy bivvying rather than huts (expensive and I'm time rich but cash poor). Anyone fancy coming along?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You won't be able to use a hammock for much of the route, however if you can use your walking poles to support it then turning the tarp into a low tent will work. You are expected to camp near to the refuges rather then just anyplace. Not using the huts makes sense from the perspective of money but also because they tend to be booked in advance by French hikers.

The insect life (midges) can be a problem in the summer and it can get a bit blustery so a tent (even a second hand one from ebay) may be a better option.

If you don't find a walking partner here you may well find a fellow hiker who matches your pace once there, it'll be busy.

There are lots of photos from the route over on traildino.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Oh you will be able to use a hammock, just not all the time and the weight on your back might well be better taken up with water, food and stuff to keep you warm during the nights, even in summer it can be chilly.

Have fun and do post some pics. :)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Oh you will be able to use a hammock, just not all the time and the weight on your back might well be better taken up with water, food and stuff to keep you warm during the nights, even in summer it can be chilly.

Have fun and do post some pics. :)
Sandbender is right. We frequently camp in the Eastern Pyrenees at 2000m at lac des Bouillouses which is on GR 10. We have had nights of -8C in August!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE