anyone use a dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
does anyone use their dog for bushcraft?I went out today and my dog caught a squirrel and a rabbit, which i'll use to feed her, and it got me thinking:
my beddy/whippet (small lurcher) is a worker, and if i stay out long enough usually catches something edible: she's more reliable than snaring.
i've seen posts about sleeping with dogs, but has anyone else got a dog that can feed them?

lord lurcher

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
norwich, norfolk
Having kept lurchers all my life and always had them with me, i would say that they are worth their weight in gold as far as procurring meat for the table, I even had one that would stalk and catch feeding pigeons! Glad to know there are other bushcrafty/dog people about!

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Two labs and a springer - not strictly bushcraft but as shooting companions they help me celebrate the Great Outdoors.

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
Two collies (it was 3, but one died recently :( ), both working farm dogs. Both absolutely rubbish at Bushcraft unless you've got a surplus of food you need eating!!!!

Although, we did have a Bushcraft Exercise for some of our Air Cadets over the summer, and the dog did come and live with us for most of the weekend - he ended up sleeping at the foot of our basha and kept my feet warm!

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have 2 lurchers aswell as the bacon hunter , they tend to be useless for rabbiting though and just wear themselfs out (to the point of having to be carried home) if they get onto a deer !
They only ever get a rabbit when a friend of ours comes to stay , she is a veggie so it doesnt go down too well !
The bacon hunter is a different ball game though , he can pin point a bacon buttie very accurately , the problem is getting any of it for yourself !!!
Pumbaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE