Anyone thought of using downed trees for a Hugelkultur?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Had barely heard of them before this year when I was given a Sepp Holzer book for Christmas.

futurebeyond55_01_small.jpg

Attachments

• futurebeyond55_01_small.jpg
    futurebeyond55_01_small.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 58

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
They are like the thumps you get around traveller sites. Herbs and some veg are grown on them, but they aren't cultivated, just planted/seeded ad left. They also stop the vans getting stolen by the state or other travellers. It tends to be medical herbs like comfrey or marigold rather than any thing to be eaten.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
They are like the thumps you get around traveller sites. Herbs and some veg are grown on them, but they aren't cultivated, just planted/seeded ad left. They also stop the vans getting stolen by the state or other travellers. It tends to be medical herbs like comfrey or marigold rather than any thing to be eaten.

That makes sense given the possible soil depth. Would be a handy setup for a herb garden if short on space.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
At the Care Farm where I do a bit of work some of the Service Users are growing stuff in this manner.
There will be loads of fallen wood for more beds after the storms!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
They set up some of those at the community group I do a bit of work for, not planted yet, looking forward to seeing this mature.

unruly

Jan 8, 2014
Suthriganaweorc
Funnily enough I did this at the weekend.

1.jpg

A old sink filled with rotting logs.

2.jpg

Packing out the gaps with rotting leaf mould.

3.jpg

Then covered it all with compost.

I've planted wild strawberries on it but think I'll add white clover to fix nitrogen and the roots will help stabilise the soil.

I've been reading up on Hugelkultur for a while and this is a first attempt. I hope to build some decent size beds when I've got time. I only get to the land where this is every couple of weeks or so so I need something I can leave and not water, hence Hugelkultur.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE