Anyone play golf?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Me neither!

My wife has decided to take it up, so being a good husband, we're learning to actually hit the balls at the driving range together. We're just using a couple of clubs borrowed from the coach and my wife wants her own, so we go into the golf shop and she asks about beginner clubs. The assistant was kindly recommending she bought one driver for £250! So we pretended to be interested and walked out laughing. Well I've just bought a second hand full set of golf clubs, bag and trolley on Ebay for £20 including postage! They might not be very good, but it's a set of sticks to try and hit a ball with, and I'm not one for trophies, so don't need a championship set. :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
marktwain1.jpg

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Jampam you should be hanging your head in shame!

No self respecting Yorkshire person would have spent so much nor have gone down the route of this abberation of the original game.

Contrary to their claims neither the Jock's nor the Cloggies invented golf.

It was in fact invented in Yorkshire (ask God) millenia ago, as an early form of hunting and it was as known as 'piggy'.

Piggy was played with a broom handle length and shaped stick (the club) carved rounded at the 'play' end, and a shorter piece of the same material (about 4 inches long) and sharpened to a point at each end - the 'pig'.

The pig was placed on a flat cobble (the tee);
With a downward stroke the 'golfer' would hit one end of the pig causing it to flick upwards into the air, spinning as it rose;
In a continuation of the action, wielding the 'club' bat-like, the golfer would attempt to strike the pig mid air and send it as far as possible, or to a set target (the green) dependent on the challenge.

The skill in causing the pig to rise to the correct height and to then strike it dead centre in order to achieve the greatest flight has become a lost art due to the introduction of 'Golf' balls', clubs and plastic tees etc brought in to make the game easier for the of the Jocks, Yanks, Japanese and Southerners!

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Well, a golf thread on a bushcraft forum. At last something I can talk about with experience and knowledge😂. Jam pan the fact you have colluded with your missus to buy some clubs means that sadly you have been lost to the dark side😉Seriously it's a great game and not a long walk spoiled and in fact you will see a great deal of nature on a golf course.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
If you went back 30 years, people held on to their golf clubs and the secondhand market was still a good investment. We now live in a day when young men will pay £70 for a branded T shirt or pair of shirts with a lable.
Disposable income has been kind to some people and trying out hobbies can be expensive for the new purchaser.

I drove home last week and outside a house on the main road, stood a golf bag, including clubs and trolley. A over the bed nursing table and a fake leather computer seat.
I knocked on the door and rang the door bell. No one answered. So I wrote a note, saying in passing I had seen the golf clubs and had tried to contact them. I wrote that I would return the golf clubs if they didn't want me to gave them and left my name and phone number on the note, before posting it in their letter box. I
Later that day I received a txt saying "please keep and enjoy the golf clubs," shortly followed by another txt saying "thanks for leaving the note"
The golf clubs is a full set, including the trolley, everything one would need to play the game. There's even several of the same number clubs by different makers, showing it was once someone's investment. If I don't use them, I will pass them on.
When I was a kid from a large family. My job before school, was to excercise the gun dogs.
I walked just out of sight accross fields, located my stashed golf club and odd golf balls. Wacked the golf balls as far as I could for each dog. I would then sit, have a fag and return home with well excercise gun dogs. My father never knew about the golf balls, but later in life when I was a adult, I got my own Alsation. My father would always say to me, "don't walk the legs if that dog"

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Some great responses here!

Jaeger that piggy game sounds interesting. I've not heard of it. I'm sure my dad will know all about it.

We've now got a full set of golf clubs for both of us and a massive bucket of balls all care of the car boot yesterday. Golf clubs 50p each! And a guy who even told us where to play really cheaply too.
The Yorkshireman in me has the short arms/ deep pockets thing going on for this sport.

My best shot yet has to be on Friday at the driving range when I hit the ball, it bounced off the side curtain and hit me square on the forehead!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE