Anyone made/makes Bahco Laplander leather sheaths?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Hi Guys,

Ive seen a few pictures on the WWW of some really nice leather sheathes for the laplander.. I've never tried leather craft and doubt i'd have the patience or skill, but would be interested to see what everyone else has and whether it was made or bought..

:) FFM

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
84130a9b0cf77e7d7da7eda2ff26f876.jpg
s I made this dangle style sheath a few weeks ago and it's held up alright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have two sheathed laplanders :D They're very good indeed. One is nearly ten years old now, and it's still an excellent tool even after a tremendous amount of work. We used it to cut down two geans and a beech last weekend. Six inch thick timber was no problem.
I bought the second one thinking that I'd use it as the first one started to lose efficiency, yet we're still using it and the second one's pretty much as new.
One sheath was made for me by Warthog1981 and the other by Eric Methven.
I don't think Russ has time to make sheaths just now, though you could ask ? but Eric is usually up for some leather working.
That said, there are a lot of leather workers on the forum whose work I would happily recommend too.
My sheaths are pretty much like the one that knifeman shows. Brass studs and dangler rings though.

M

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I bought mine, from Angst (Beneath The Stars Leathercraft) I must say, its held up perfect, and that is after two and a half years, of hard use. Abuse even.
Truly, bespoke work.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Here is mine:
lapplander-sheath.jpg

lapplander-sheath-2.jpg

Wet-formed, with a belt loop on the back. Uneven stitching: I was in a hurry and thus sloppy, but still no excuse. I have had it for a number of years, and should really make a new one, with neater stitching.

Wet-forming is simple

1. Wrap your saw in plastic wrap: this makes life more simple, and keeps rust away
2. Wet a piece of vegetable tan leather in warm water
3. Place saw on a scrap board,
4. Press down the leather over the saw, shaping it with hands and soft edged tools as needed.
5. Fix leather in place with some small nails all around the perimeter (every 5 cm or so is fine, closer where there is much curve), about where you expect the seam to end up (the nail-holes will be hidden by (integrated in) your stitching
6. Once it has dried, remove the nails, trim as needed and stitch to the back with waxed linnen thread If you want a belt-loop add it before you sew the sheath proper.

The one gotcha is that if you don't think -- i.e. make it too snug around the opening -- when you stitch it up there will be no way to get the saw into the sheath!

Last edited:

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I've just got the plain nylon/velcro one but if you want a quality made piece the get Angst (Sonni) to make you one. His work is first rate, top notch stuff. The leather sheath is slowly making its way to the top of my "to get" bushcraft list.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE