Anyone know where can I get this particular type of pace beads?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
You know when you’re getting old when you lose your navigation kit before you’ve left home. :sigh:

I used to have a string of pace/ranger beads that were fairly large, about ½” (12 mm) in diameter, and shaped like miniature upturned flower pots, which allowed them to nest but still be easy to use when wearing gloves. I’ve given up looking for the originals and decided to buy a new set but that particular design seems to have gone off the market.

Has anyone seen them on sale?

Thanks.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
You know when you’re getting old when you lose your navigation kit before you’ve left home. :sigh:

I used to have a string of pace/ranger beads that were fairly large, about ½” (12 mm) in diameter, and shaped like miniature upturned flower pots, which allowed them to nest but still be easy to use when wearing gloves. I’ve given up looking for the originals and decided to buy a new set but that particular design seems to have gone off the market.

Has anyone seen them on sale?

Thanks.

I've seen them on sale at many military outlets - I have a set upstairs. I think they might be made by BCB? Alternatively, try 'Soldier of Fortune' - they have a website shop.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Thanks, Mike. All the outlets I’ve tried use the roundish bead types that don’t nest. I’ve spoken to Solder of Fortune, it looked from their catalogue and the picture on the web site that they did have the type I’m after, but it’s an old picture and their current version also has beads that don’t nest together.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Like these ones?

1071.jpg

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Thanks for posting that image Rappleby2000, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. I found a supplier who was using that exact image to advertise their pace beads but what I got was these http://www.meanandgreen.com/army//Ranger_Beads_Pace_Counter/1950/1926.html?affid=14090 (note, M&G were not the supplier). They took them back and since then I’ve phoned before ordering but, on checking, all the suppliers I’ve tried have said the ones they now have are the same as the ones illustrated on the M&G web site. I’ve got a horrible feeling the maker has changed the design and to most suppliers pace beads are pace beads are pace beads, hence they haven't changed the photo.

Thing is, having known a bit of kit that suits me, I’m reluctant to by something that seems inferior. I would really like to find a supplier that has the type shown in Rappleby2000’s post in stock. So far, I’ve drawn a blank.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Ranger beads are from the US. I still have a set or two somewhere but I'd not like to say where! I've not seen them for a while. They are excellent and available from all US base clothing stores. Have you tried USMC? For that matter are USMC still going?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Just out of interest , what do you use these for?

It's a method of remembering how many steps you've taken when judging distace.
You could also use small picked up stones, knots in a cord, I even have one of those "head count" clickers, etc.

you'd pick up (or move a bead) every 100 meters, it's very useful when you are in low visibility , areas with few landmarks, or if trying to find an exact point on the map.

firstly though you need to calculate how many steps you take in 100 meters
(the length of a football pitch) once you know this(figure out your average) mine is 58.

then (in my case every 58 steps) i pick up a stone. after several hundred meters you may have forgotten how many you look at the stones and can figure out fairly acurately where you are on the map.

hope that made sense
:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Yup I've made some myself in the past some tips for you!

The cord needs to be a very tight fit(otherwise the beads will slip down)

Cordlocks would be an easy but expensive option.

make two rows "100 meters" beads and "1 Kilometer"beads.

The beads when in use need to be somewhere where they won't get knocked/pulled like attached to a pocket button hole or the front of your rucksack shoulder.;)

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
you just gave me an idea.....the wife buys a certain type washing powder that comes with a net bag closed by one of those "thingys" (are these cordlocks) the powder blocks are placed in the bag and that into the washing machine, however she does not use the bags..... so I tend to get them.......and now I've found a use for them........LOL

Smoggy

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:rolleyes:
ahhh Cunning, I know the sort they are "cordlocks"!

I never get to see them as The go towards washing my kids "Smalls":(

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
The pace counter beads picture posted here are the original "Ranger Pace Counter" beads. They were made and distributed by Ranger Joes Surplus in Columbus, Geogia, USA. The cone shaped beads were very brittle and broke very easily. I seem to remember that the original price was $1 or so.
The ones that Ranger Joes sells now are the ones with the smaller beads. They are actually better in some ways. They are tighter on the cord, slip less and they are less brittle and do not break easily. The second pic someone posted is the new type.
The original ones look like faucet washers but not made of rubber. I hope this info helps.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I made some beads a while back from 3mm leather and cord. The discs were cut using a sharpened end of a copper pipe and pierced with a leather hole punch.They were too stiff the first few times in use, but now move more easily while retaining grip.

beads.jpg

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I made one usinig a broken leather shoe lace - good for gripping the beads (which I got from a haberdashery shop) - never got round to actually using it though (not yet anyway)

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
Cheaper way to go is get Cone shaped faucet washer's and use with 550 cord[the inner cords Not stripped] ,nice friction fit.Can be used with gloves in cold weather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE