Anyone know what this is?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
IMG_20190130_173946.jpg

It's a neat clump of vegetation about 8 inches across. My first thought was some sort of failed bird's nest but it was under a low thorn tree with no sign of anything in the tree.

This was the second one of these I found. The first was almost identical in construction and again not under a suitable nesting tree. These were about half a mile apart and not near paths frequented by people, although they were on animal trails.

At the top of the picture you can see an area where something has scraped away the leaves and there was lots of muntjac sign around.

Z

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mouse-house. We see them mostly when the snow melts in the spring.
The snow cover is a measure of safety. Only some owls and foxes can hear them under the snow.
Maybe coyotes and wolves but I've never seen that.
My back lawn might have 5 or 6 of them every spring.
Giant hamburger buns (20 x 10 cm) of dry grasses with cleared trails though the grass in all directions.
Must be the small birds that use the grass = in the space of less than a week, they are gone.

>> watch these and see if you can tell where they are moved to.
Can you make an "offering" of grasses that will get used when you're not looking?
I see no grass in your picture. Where might it have come from?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE