Anyone know about hammers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Got a bundle of tools today off the local facebook selling page...

4 hammers and a short crowbar.
eb507b725d12dcc103106bf82c19fe15.jpg

Anyone know what these two are for?
b269608add4ed19d5cf4192650251ef4.jpg

Boot sale tomorrow...hopefully more treasure. ;)

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Definition: Nail. Device used for taking careful aim before lowering hammer onto thumb. (from The Devil's Dictionary)

Hammers are not my strong point.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The bottom one is a planishing hammer for shaping sheet metal. The other is a cross peen hammer.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
no planishing hammers there I'm afraid ;) Plannishing hammers have a greater distance between face and handle to avoid catching the handle on the work

The small cranked cross peen with large face is indeed a leatherworkers hammer, most likely a cobblers but are used by many trades (including bookbinding, where it would be called a backing hammer).

The large cross peen (with hexagonal face) is a blacksmiths or engineers hammer. I have a few like that on my shelf.

the others are of course a ball peen and a warrington pin hammer

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Sorry S/M but its not a planishing hammer, at least not the sort we use over here(served my apprenticeship as a sheet metal worker), it is,what has already been said a cobblers hammer.

Rob

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
no planishing hammers there I'm afraid ;) Plannishing hammers have a greater distance between face and handle to avoid catching the handle on the work.....

Sorry S/M but its not a planishing hammer, at least not the sort we use over here(served my apprenticeship as a sheet metal worker), it is,what has already been said a cobblers hammer.

Rob

Yeah it' not exactly like the ones we have (use) here either but I can't find any other hammer close to it.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Yeah it' not exactly like the ones we have (use) here either but I can't find any other hammer close to it.

The "face" is very similar, ie designed to not mark the metal/material you are striking, but it has a very short neck, & only has the one striking face, planishing hammers have 2 ie a round face & a square one.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE