Anyone have any dehydrated meal recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Hi all. Getting a dehydrator tomorrow to make some quick meals for out and about and for quick dinners at home. If anyone has any recipes that I could use or ideas to share I would be greatful.

Thanks all.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I have tonnes but i am currently not in a position to easily share, i'll be in the mountains soon making them for sustenance and will be shooting vidoes to show what i use and how i do it, trying to type them out descriptively to make any sense to anyone but myself from my cellphone is a comical thought, best way is to just experiment in the comfort of your home, if it is not good to eat when home it won't be any better in the field unless you are close to starvation and then any food is better than none

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've dried anywhere from 12 to 25lbs of Roma tomatoes. Pack those in savory olive oil.
I can't imagine rehydrating an entire meal for home. Out in the mountains, sure.

Instead,
I'll cook for 10-15 servings, eat some and freeze the rest.
Do that 10 times over the course of a month and the economy and timing really pay off.

Example:
#1 = 3 x 14" pizza. My crust, my sauce, the toppings I like. Each cuts into 8 big slices.
That's 24 slices, total. I eat 2, maybe 3. Freeze the rest in pairs.
#2 = Chili con carne': 3lbs ground bison and fixings will make about 15-18 servings.
#3 = economy tray of 8 big chicken breasts. I breaded and baked them all. 2/3 is a serving for me
#4 boneless skinless chicken thigh. Tray of 12, poultry seasoning core in each. Baked = 6 dinner servings.

I've done travel camping with guys who pack up, totally frozen.
What we eat depends entirely on what thaws out first!

I suppose you could try drying anything and everything I've mentioned.
I think that the food would be ruined.
Sure if you could freeze-dry it all, it might move up from pathetic to terrible.

Dry ingredients that you know will not otherwise keep. Fruit and vegetables in particular.
Get a cure and a rub and ground beef and make 1/32 mile of jerky.

Pemmican was dried and smashed bison meat mixed with bison fat, done up in 60 - 90lb bison hide bags.
The precise documentary records of the Hudson's Bay Company show that Rocky Mountain House,
a fur trading post, had to prepare 44,000lbs of pemmican for the travelling fur trading employees.
They did all of that in just 9 days each year.

Bonne appetit. I buy a side of local bison every year. I got the fat. I rendered the fat and made pemmican.
I was instructed by First Nations Elders. Now maybe you won't starve but I'd almost rather eat bird's nest soup.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
While I still prepare fully dried and dehydrated foods, I cannot enjoy them in the woods.
My hip joint circulation issues set my bottom on fire in less than 100M.
Some accidents have only made bad things worse.

So, I have a dehydrator, American Harvest brand, with 4 trays. I do one fruit or vegetable at a time.
Say you have 12kg/half case of Roma tomatoes from the desert. 6 kg per load, tomato halves.
Into my freezer.
I make up 2-3kg bison cured/seasoned jerky at a time in the oven, 250F, at as time.

Do this silly business, 10 times in a row, and you wind up with all kinds of dried foods
that you can bag up as your own meals.

Mess with them in the kitchen to decide on the seasonings to add.
Hindsight tells me that the seasonings are key to a good, hot supper in ****ty weather.
You tuck in with a savory full gut asnd there's not much that can be a problem.
Except for the damn 90lb Chesapeake retriever who NEEDS to share the sleeping bag.

acheter

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2016
Poland
www.pishop.de
I think sweet potatoes are totally paleo, tons of nutrients! Just gotta watch the carb intake with stuff like that, IMO. We do beef stew all the time with them, we've also used rutabaga as a sort of potato substitute. Haven't dehydrated any of them though.

The only problem with dehydrating beef stew would be the big chunks. Since it's not getting freeze dried, you really need to be able to make it smaller so it dries and rehydrates efficiently.

I did this unstuffed peppers recipe for three meals over the weekend. It worked fantastic even when I just poured two cups of hot water on and let it sit like a Mountain House. I am so sold. I'm going to try dehydrating some omelets this week to see if I can make a nice paleo breakfast.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE