Anyone had dealings with walkhigh.co.uk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2010
South East
Yes, I've been right royally stung by Walkhigh too. Basically it seems they have been a reasonable company up until August 2010 at which point they claim to have had some sort of IT meltdown which messed up all the orders. They've managed to be remarkably efficient in continuing to take money from people. I am one of their newer orders and can confirm that new orders ARE NOT being despatched. As of today their phone appears disconnected and they never respond to emails. I rang a neighbouring business on the industrial site where Walkhigh is based and they inform me that the lights are on and they are still trading. The owner (Dean Winsbury) has his fingers in various pies; Climbhigh UK, Costumechest.com - all have different numbers, all numbers are dead. Interestingly Walkhigh and Costumechest.com are Amazon sellers and I note that on Amazon Walkhigh has recent and glowing reviews - either he has friends at Amazon or he's only bothering to fulfill those orders at the moment. I could kick myself for buying from his site via Google Shopping and only seeing the blog attached to the site later. I now have to retrieve my hard earned cash via my credit card company and I'm not happy! AVOID!

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Yes, I've been right royally stung by Walkhigh too. Basically it seems they have been a reasonable company up until August 2010 at which point they claim to have had some sort of IT meltdown which messed up all the orders. They've managed to be remarkably efficient in continuing to take money from people. I am one of their newer orders and can confirm that new orders ARE NOT being despatched. As of today their phone appears disconnected and they never respond to emails. I rang a neighbouring business on the industrial site where Walkhigh is based and they inform me that the lights are on and they are still trading. The owner (Dean Winsbury) has his fingers in various pies; Climbhigh UK, Costumechest.com - all have different numbers, all numbers are dead. Interestingly Walkhigh and Costumechest.com are Amazon sellers and I note that on Amazon Walkhigh has recent and glowing reviews - either he has friends at Amazon or he's only bothering to fulfill those orders at the moment. I could kick myself for buying from his site via Google Shopping and only seeing the blog attached to the site later. I now have to retrieve my hard earned cash via my credit card company and I'm not happy! AVOID!
PS: he doesn't respond to approaches on FB via the Walkhigh profile or Dean Winsbury's own.

This has been brought to the attention of Amazon. So we'll see what they make of it.

Cheers

Grebby

Dec 13, 2010
South East
BTW, if you want to review your experience of Walkhigh (!), there is the opportunity to do so on Facebook (under Walkhigh Mountaineering).

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Sorry to hear that Emma. Yes they are very efficient at taking the cash - mine was gone almost immediately.
Good luck with your quest getting money back. I am awaiting a form to fill out which is being sent from my bank. Hopefully I will get the money back - more out of principle...

Dec 13, 2010
South East
Yep, you should pursue them out of principle. I don't know how much money of yours they've hung on to but for me it was a three figure sum that I am really going to miss and of course, now can't afford to buy the goods elsewhere (a winter coat!) with my money hiding in Walkhigh's coffers. Guess I'll have to wait but just glad I paid with a credit card, so there's some hope. Hope you and all the many other stung customers of Walkhigh get success (I have to say the queue for refunds from Walkhigh is massive...).

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Well, well, well. Just got an email from walkhigh saying my order has been cancelled and refunded. Funds not in bank yet but these things can take time. Will let you know.
There was an apology on the email - bit late but maybe I will be a bit more gentle when I actually see the money back in my bank.
A glimmer of hope for us all perhaps....?

Dec 13, 2010
South East
Well, well, well. Just got an email from walkhigh saying my order has been cancelled and refunded. Funds not in bank yet but these things can take time. Will let you know.
There was an apology on the email - bit late but maybe I will be a bit more gentle when I actually see the money back in my bank.
A glimmer of hope for us all perhaps....?

I also got a refund onto my credit card on Friday and seem to have jumped the queue somewhat because I know others have been waiting a lot longer. I think the lesson here is that Walkhigh does not respond to gentle reminders. I thoroughly threw my toys out of the pram and made such a nuisance of myself that I think they just wanted me off their back. Very much hope that others on this forum have a similar outcome soon. Make a nuisance of yourself, you shouldn't have to, but it's the only way I think.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Still nothing showing in my account. However, it is the weekend so will give it till mon or tues before i check again.
The email sent was very unclear about what was happening (just mentioned the amount paid for the goods and didn't include postage as well - of course i expect a full refund).
Hopefully it all goes through and I will not have to persue these people anymore....
That's great you got your refunded though Emma - nice one!!!

Oct 31, 2009
Merseyside
My first time on here. I placed an order to Walkhigh then came on the forum and read some bad things about Walkhigh and people not getting their goods. I have dealt with them in past and have had no bad dealings, I could only praise them for the service I recieved. After reading the bad reports I thought oh dear bang goes my order that I placed a few days ago but it arrived today recorded delivery taking only three days in this lovely cool weather.

Gaitero

Mar 4, 2011
Upper Clydesdale, Scotland
Wish I'd seen this thread before I ordered from the bar stewards. Ordered a Montane featherlite smock a fortnight ago, as getting an XXL was not so easy. (I know - shouldn't be so fat). They took the payment immediately - natch, and since then nothing heard. No reply to emails. No answer to the phone and Voicemail full. What a rubbish company. My next stop will be trading standards and try and get them shut down.:campfire:

Walkhigh

May 20, 2011
UK
Walkhigh Mountaineering ( walkhigh.co.uk ) is trading completely normally and the problems experienced during the winter of 2010/11 are totally resolved.

As some of you may know, Walkhigh is a family run business with myself at the helm. We experienced a series of devastating family events in the latter part of 2010 and it took a long time to piece back our lives afterwards. During this awful period we were not totally focussed on the business and combined with the delivery difficulties caused by the exceptionally bad winter last year and some unforseen technical problems with new systems meant that although we worked as hard possible at the time, some of our customers still suffered very poor service.

I hope that you understand the reluctantancy to make the full details public, nevertheless as we have been operating normally now for several months it is time to put the record straight and put this behind us.

For anyone affected at the time please accept my sincere apologies. Walkhigh has and always will aim to provide the highest levels of customer service and I hope that you will grant us the opportunity to prove it by serving you sometime soon.

Dean Winsbury
founder
Walkhigh.co.uk

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's great news Dean, I was a fairly regular customer until the bad stories started coming out.

Good to hear you've got stuff sorted and good luck getting the client base built back up again. Did you manage to honour the items to those who were waiting?

Walkhigh

May 20, 2011
UK
Did you manage to honour the items to those who were waiting?

As far as I have been able to tell all orders for the period were either fulfilled, refunded or in some cases customers made claims though their card companies. It is of course possible that we may have missed something as it did get into a bit of a mess, if anyone has not had the goods or their money back then please get in touch and I will investigate and put this right. I'm happy to do this via the forum but its easier to email me at sales@walkhigh.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE