Anyone from the teesside area?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobSwan

Sep 17, 2014
Hartlepool
Not found any link, just lots of (onliine) talk n stuff about wild camping at faling foss.

Anyone else got any info/contacts?

I will make some enquiries later this week as should have some free time Thurs/Fri.
REALLY :) like the idea of somewhere with a wild swimming pool handy!

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
There is no organised camping at falling foss, would need to be covert and not ideal for group .
There is a cafe there which I think opens around now , increases footfall from walkers considerably and gets really busy at weekends.

marcdjay

Jun 7, 2013
Cleveland
I can ask at the farm me and my mate have been given permission to camp. The woodland isn't exactly flat though, so may not be great for tents. I'm going up on Saturday, though as I've only really spoken to him a couple of times I'm a little tentative.

Any suggestions for trying to convince him? :p

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I wouldn't blow your permission trying to get a bunch of us on there straight away, go along armed with good intentions, is he asking for any work to be done on the land you could ask if he needs any clearing done, it helps him, helps you and gets fire wood to boot :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

marcdjay

Jun 7, 2013
Cleveland
I wouldn't blow your permission trying to get a bunch of us on there straight away, go along armed with good intentions, is he asking for any work to be done on the land you could ask if he needs any clearing done, it helps him, helps you and gets fire wood to boot :)

He hasn't asked for any work to be done, although after our first visit we're going to approach him about helping to manage the woodland. There are (I think) public trails through there to though a lot is overgrown so is not used.

In the long run I think he'd be keen as he seems to love the outdoors, but like you say slowly slowly catchy monkey

RobSwan

Sep 17, 2014
Hartlepool
Looks and sounds good to me. Good idea to go gently first and see how responsive they are to wild camping.

We went to Brockwell Wood at Blaydon Burn with bopdude just before Christmas and they're a great reference for the success of allowing wild camping.
If the guy's chatty you could always suggest he give them a call for advice. They make money from it, have no trouble and are booked solid in summer.
And if he's willing to accept some work in return, I'm more than happy to chip in. After all, clearing is a very bushcraft thing to be doing. Sell the guy a free working party for a weekend and we've got a campsite in return. But like bopdude says, take it gently and maybe offer a day or two (without camping) if he's cool.

Good luck.
Keep us posted.

Crassy84

Forager
Oct 22, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Looks and sounds good to me. Good idea to go gently first and see how responsive they are to wild camping.

We went to Brockwell Wood at Blaydon Burn with bopdude just before Christmas and they're a great reference for the success of allowing wild camping.
If the guy's chatty you could always suggest he give them a call for advice. They make money from it, have no trouble and are booked solid in summer.
And if he's willing to accept some work in return, I'm more than happy to chip in. After all, clearing is a very bushcraft thing to be doing. Sell the guy a free working party for a weekend and we've got a campsite in return. But like bopdude says, take it gently and maybe offer a day or two (without camping) if he's cool.

Good luck.
Keep us posted.

Hey there Marc,

agreed with Rob, brockwell is a great place. let me know about overnighters etc. looks like to DD group buy will be early april too

quidditys_shore

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Middlesbrough
Hi all! :)

Just like Marc I'm also a have gear, no idea guy lol

Only camping I've done are solo at festivals over the last 4 years (bands I like are of no interest to wife or friends!).
I've started collecting a fair bit of cheap kit, it's still all new to me! Currently have 8 tents & a hammock! All basically new haha except my trusty argos bargain, a £15 proaction hike lite 1 man tent.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Woodywoodpacker

Jul 21, 2015
Hartlepool
Hi All,

What about the woods near yarm with Safezone?

It's an ideal place although you do get the odd train going by but soon get back to sleep.

It's ideal for hammocks.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Well I've emailed Brockwell to see how they're looking second week ish in October...................so, date to be confirmed but looking like either the 10th or 17th, any other options ?

Crassy84

Forager
Oct 22, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I'm good for either date with a preference for the 17th. last time I was at brockwell it had been absolutely picked clean of dead standing by summer campers. Someone had even hacked a big oak tree to bits!

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
When they get back to me I'll ask what the wood situation is, if we have to carry some in it's not the end of the world imho.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Just had a reply, the weekend of the 17th is going to be busy so depending on numbers it may have to be the 10th out the 24th ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE