Anyone else potting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I have just received my potting licence got a new deep water mooring pot, float etc. just need to fit an escape hatch then ready to go!

Does anyone else pot? Any advice on best baits to use all I know is fresh=crab smelly=lobster what's the best way of keeping bait in the pot?

I popped to Sainsburys fish counter for some heads etc. but they're not allowed to give them away they have to go for bio fuel apparently even though the customer has paid for them.

Dave

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I used dog fish or mackerel held in with inner tube around the entrance, little bit of string to pull it and wedge the bait in.

When I got the pot I wandered about that bit then I watched some you tube vids. and couldn't quite see if that's what they were doing they're so fast on commercial boats.

Dave

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Have you tried your local fishmongers.. for the stuff they bin after filleting.

Should be ideal for baiting your pots :)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Just checked with the Cornwall fisheries people and here is part of their reply meaning for personal consumption no permit is needed.

The good news is that you do not need a permit from Cornwall IFCA to go fishing recreationally for sea fish and shellfish within our district although recreational boats are sometimes restricted in the number of some species that they can keep.

You may have heard about a byelaw we have which describes a shellfish permit for those wishing to use a boat to remove more than two shellfish per day from the district. (a copy of this byelaw is attached). These permits are only available to registered and licenced commercial boats and as a recreational fisherman you are currently limited to two shellfish per day from the species lobster, crawfish, edible crab and spider crab. This byelaw is expected to be replaced very soon and when in force the new byelaw will allow up to five shellfish per day from the same species, two of which can be from the lobster and crawfish species. This new byelaw will be well advertised on our website when it becomes law and is expected later this summer. Please be aware that egg carrying females and ‘V’ notched (or mutilated) lobsters and crawfish are also protected and should be returned. There is no limit to the number of pots you can use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE