Anyone bought Lundhags Scouts recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I'm thinking about getting a pair of Lundhags Scouts soon (probably from Tamarack), and was wondering.......

Do they come with felt insoles and boot wax? Some old posts I've read seem to suggest that they do, but that may be due to retailer goodwill, rather than Lundhag standard issue.

Anyone have recent experience?

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I bought a pair from Tamarack a year or so ago, they came with the basic flat felt insoles, I bought the better felt insoles as extra's. No wax came with mine either.
Very pleased with the boots though, I got them in their last winter sale for £90

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I bought some Ranger Highs from them in August, best boots I've ever worn.

Sally threw in some Lundhag wax and some rubber treatment too. I got the Beta fit insoles with mine.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
I bought some Ranger Highs from them in August, best boots I've ever worn.

Sally threw in some Lundhag wax and some rubber treatment too. I got the Beta fit insoles with mine.

Was that mail order, or personal visit?

I phone them a few weeks ago, hoping to be able to pop in and try/buy some Lundhags boots, but was informed that they don't keep stock, just obtain to order...... This makes commercial sense, but is a little disappointing, from a speculative buyer point of view.

By the way, do the rangers have padding in the foot, or just the leg portion?

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I bought Lundhag Scouts from Tamarack. Really good boot. They come with a basic felt insole. If you want to add additional felt insoles you might want to adjust your sizing accordingly. A note on the leather - I don't know what leather they use on their boots but its the finest leather I have ever come across. The boots themselves are amazingly light considering what they are made of. They are very waterproof despite having no membrane and the soles are vibram and have great rigidity. The lowers are their usual plastic type stuff and I find it hard to fault - I even caught it on a nail on a gatepost and it did not leave anything but a slight mark...when my friend caught his scarpas on the same nail on the same part of his boot and tore a ruddy great gash.

If I was to improve the boot in any way it would be to improve the achilles/tendon protection/flex like they have on the German Para Boots Mk5 and Mk7....

LBL

I tried on the Lundhag Pro's last month and they were really aweful fitting boots. Great quality, but crap design. Too high, too little flex on the achilles area, too narrow on the leg and with no way of tightening up the foot area like a traditional boot. I reckon its a hit or a miss if you can get them to fit. Look cool though. ;-p

I've terrible problems trying to get boots to fit and other than a few trips to Altberg for a fitted boot I have to buy off the shelf. I tried every major make of high leg hunting boot from Meindle to Le Chameau and all were too narrow. I tried Lowa high legs again but too narrow on the leg and fit. I finally settled on Lowa Mountain boots that come in a wide xl fitting unlike their high leg counterparts. Wow...amazing boots so far. I've never tried on boots like this before...awesome. So I'd say try them...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Was that mail order, or personal visit?

I phone them a few weeks ago, hoping to be able to pop in and try/buy some Lundhags boots, but was informed that they don't keep stock, just obtain to order...... This makes commercial sense, but is a little disappointing, from a speculative buyer point of view.

By the way, do the rangers have padding in the foot, or just the leg portion?

I "called in" one day, not really a 150 mile round trip honest :rolleyes:

Just padding on the top of the leg with the Ranger Highs, I can take some pics if you want any.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
I "called in" one day, not really a 150 mile round trip honest :rolleyes:

Just padding on the top of the leg with the Ranger Highs, I can take some pics if you want any.
Lucky you...

Actually, I bought some boots today, got a pair of Lundhag Ranger High in Tea Green from Stephen Fawcett Gunsmiths in Lancaster.

I 'could' have got them cheaper from Tamarack, indeed, but I do like buying from shops that take the trouble to carry stock. Nothing against Tamarack, I would have bought from them, most likely, if they had some Lundhags on the shelves, but that's life.

Anyway... The Ranger high seems a very good boot, and I'm looking forward to breaking them in, during the current weather conditions.

By the way, what do you use to proof the nubuck uppers?

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lucky you...

Actually, I bought some boots today, got a pair of Lundhag Ranger High in Tea Green from Stephen Fawcett Gunsmiths in Lancaster.

I 'could' have got them cheaper from Tamarack, indeed, but I do like buying from shops that take the trouble to carry stock. Nothing against Tamarack, I would have bought from them, most likely, if they had some Lundhags on the shelves, but that's life.

Anyway... The Ranger high seems a very good boot, and I'm looking forward to breaking them in, during the current weather conditions.

By the way, what do you use to proof the nubuck uppers?

Great boots, good choice fella. I was so tempted by the green but bottled it and went for the all black instead.

I use the Lundhags wax which Sally at Tamarack gave me. To be honest I just usually brush them off and then wipe them over with a damp sponge. http://www.tamarackgroup.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_Accessories.html

Not sure which socks you've got but I went for the Ullfrotte 200g and 400g, very toasty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE