anybody use this hammock setup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys,

So sorry if this has been mentioned i'v tried searching and cant seem to find any info.

Having bought my first hammock in the recent group buy. I'v been looking at the various set ups for it especially bushblades one. But i came across this one on which uses tree huggers. I was just wondering if anybody uses this method and is it any good because on the video it looks dead on.

[video=youtube;B6ag9he2Z8w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ag9he2Z8w[/video]

Thanks guys,

Phil

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
This is one of the most irresponsible hammock set up vids I have ever seen. Thin cords eat through the tree bark which can ring the tree and kill it. Always use 1" or wider tree straps. Second, hauling the suspension horizontal vastly increases the force exerted on the rig. The suspension should be at about 30 degrees from horizontal to get the loading down to manageable proportions. Third, a largish sag in the hammock allows a diagonal lay, which will be nearly horizontal, thus providing a low stress method of avoiding the "banana" lay.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I use a 'similar' set up... But i have a long section of DD flat strapping, with a knotted three foot section of quad paracord attached to the end.

It makes a wonderfully quick adjustment set-up, and via carabiners works very, very well. With the wide strapping, Its never marked a tree.

al.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
This is one of the most irresponsible hammock set up vids I have ever seen. Thin cords eat through the tree bark which can ring the tree and kill it. Always use 1" or wider tree straps. Second, hauling the suspension horizontal vastly increases the force exerted on the rig. The suspension should be at about 30 degrees from horizontal to get the loading down to manageable proportions. Third, a largish sag in the hammock allows a diagonal lay, which will be nearly horizontal, thus providing a low stress method of avoiding the "banana" lay.

its not thin cord its 1 inch tubular tape

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
No worries.

I just use the tubular webbing that came with the DD hammock. It's never done any visible damage to any of the trees I've regularly used.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@ Watty. True, he is using what looks to be 1" tape and not cord. However, he is advocating hauling the lines very tight so that the hammock is almost horizantal with no sag. The strain on the suspension lines increases exponentially as the angle of the lines from vertical decreases. Say the weight of the hammock and person in it is 70 kilos. the strain on the lines at 30 degrees would be 70 K on each side. AT 5 degrees, the strain would be 401 K on each side. Even with 1" tapes, that is placing a high load on the bark of the tree. In addition, think about the breaking strain of the tapes. Is it 400+ kilos?. Remember, it has knots in it with the suggested method, and knots reduce the breaking strain to something like half that of the unknotted tapes. Probably very little, if any, margin of safety. I looked at the DD site, and the breaking strain of the suspension is not stated.

I would suggest that you try the 25 - 30 degree hang, and lie diagonally across the hammock. It works really well with my Grand Trunk Ultra Light hammock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE