Any Scoutleaders here off to the Winter Camp at Gillwell?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
This weekend (9-11 Jan) a whole tumble of Scouts and scoutleaders will be camping out at Gillwell Park - last year there were about 2000 of us braving some very low tempretures with good grace! :p

If anyone else who see this is going, I'll be with the Blackwater Valley District group, who are camping (I think!) at the northern end of the site, near the Dawes Hill road, camping under my real name of John Gathercole (9th/14th Aldershot - we're in the middle of a merger).

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Womble, I only wish.

I'm off at 5:30 A.M. tomorrow with my Troop to what we call a "Klondike Derby" (Alaska; Klondike; Gold Rush of 1898). The predicted low is 2 F with a "high" of 14 F. (I wish I could remember the conversion formula!) Tenting out in my lovely (WARM) sleeping bag.

The next weekend, I'll be at our annual Wood Badge Staff reunion singing "Back to Gilwell, Happy Land . . . ." (Warmer in several respects.)

Tom

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
so a predicted "high" of 14, take away 32 is -18, and devided by 1.8 is -10!

bloody cold then! :shock:

cheers, and.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
During last years winter camp we did the -10 degree thing during the night at least. It was only then I realised that two of my lot had only come out in 2 season bags... one of them was an army sprog and you'd think that their dad at least would have known what they needed, even if the kid didn't!

This year the only real problem was the mud. The Scouts had a great time with lots for them to do; we leaders sat around a lot and drank Tea. I spent almost the entire evening around the fire, just chillin'....

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
We have a little ceremony called a "shakedown" for newer Scouts. They must produce their kit for inspection by the older Scouts. In that process, the sleeping rig is actually measured for thickness to determine its insulative value. When, years ago, we simply handed out specifications and charts, we (and the newer Scouts) received some nasty surprises -- hence we carried an extra bag or two. Less need for extras since the "sakedown" regime started, but I still make a practice of having one with me. BP and all that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE