Any mountain leaders or on the way to it out there,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Is it as expensive as it first looks or are the courses and assessments spread apart enough with logging hours to make it an easier pill to swallow, also do you reckon I could cover some of it with my E learning credits?

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
As an ML (Summer) Southey the expense is not the training or the assessment (cost approx £500+ each) but the days you have to log to get to either. These involve a lot of kit and travel.

I do not know much about e-learning credits but from a quick look are they not targeted towards digital learning materials?

Cheers

George

Jackdaw

Ask yourself "Do you really need it?".

It is a great course but unless you really need to do it, it is a lot of money to spend. How about volunteering in a position where they will pay for the course for you? Scouts etc.

Otherwise prices vary and you can shop around. You get more training reading the relevant books and getting out there yourself than you will on the course. Unless you're already good at dealing with the public or have some other leadership/coaching experience it might be wise to get out with and shadow/assist another ML to get more experience. The candidates on my course that failed did so because they couldn't lead a cow by the ring in its nose let alone a group of tired, wet through and fed up walkers off a mountain in rapidly deteriorating conditions.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
sorry no they are enhanced learning credits, I signed up for them before leaving the Army, recently remembered them they cover up to %80 of a course fee in a financial year for 3 years(one course a year) from the first claim(has to be claimed after course has been attended), but will check with the station learning advisor tomorrow if I cant use them for any of these courses and assessments,

the travelling cost and kit I don't mind,

so is the first step to register with the BMC?

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Sounds like you may be able to use them.

After I left the forces I joined the Sea Cadets and got 'some' funding from them.

As Jackdaw said I shadowed experienced ML's before my assessment.

Also I got a £100 discount for both the training and assessment from Plas Y Brenin as I was linked to the D of E.

Good luck.

George

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
I did mine 6 years ago, with this fella:

http://www.phillgeorge.com/

Phill is the guy RM chose when he was looking for an ML provider...

There were two on my assessment who had done the training under the forces retraining scheme.
If you go for a course without accommodation you can save about 50% anyway, and the level of instruction isn't any different.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
They are a danger this time of year, keep finding them staring at frozen puddles:confused::p

oh i know, in a trance like state, running there fingers through there hair, you have to be very careful not to run them over when going near the gym, they just seem to appear out of no where...

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I did mine 6 years ago, with this fella:

http://www.phillgeorge.com/

Phill is the guy RM chose when he was looking for an ML provider...

There were two on my assessment who had done the training under the forces retraining scheme.
If you go for a course without accommodation you can save about 50% anyway, and the level of instruction isn't any different.

Cheers Shingsowa! will have a good look,:D

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I'm not sure if the summer award is a high enough level for the e learning credits although the ML(W) is classed as an SQA Level 9 which is IIRC similar to a degree.I think you can register for the BMC at the same time as registering for the award, it just a matter then of logging your Quality Mountain Days in the log book and going for the training and assesment courses. You will also need a mountain based First Aid Certificate before going for the assesments.I've got both the ML(S) & ML(W) through the Joint Service scheme along with the corresponding military version. Although the courses arn't cheap there no more expensive then any other weeks outdoor instruction. I learnt a lot on the training courses and take proffesional pride in holding the qualifications.

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
I've got summer, winter and international. I did my summer at Indi, winter at Glenmore Lodge but the military paid, and my international as resettlement. Even then, it worked out quite expensive. The main thing to make sure is that you have more than enough quality days to be taken seriously, not just the minimum requirement - those with plenty of experience tend to get deferred less.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE