Any Midgies Out Yet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
I'm looking for some feedback about midgies from anyone that has been out and about in central scotland recently please.

A friend and I are heading out to the Trossachs this weekend and I'm in two minds as to whether I can take my winter hammock or midgie proof summer hammock. Normally I wouldn't be worried about them until the end of next month but with this exceptional period of weather we are having I think there is a reasonable chance they will be out early.

Anyone been bitten yet?

Cheers,

Woadhart

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They were out in the Lake District last week so I reckon they'll be out with you by now. Knowing how they can spoil a good trip I'd take the summer hammock just in case.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Midgies are out on Arran, and having just de-ticked HWMBLT who's been there camping this week, so are the ticks :sigh:

I live near Hamilton, and the midgies are out here.

cheers,
Toddy

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I was out on Loch Ard last weekend with the kids and there were none. Zero wind but if I were you I would take the midge net just in case.

P3250042.jpg

Apr 1, 2012
aberdeen
i used smidge the new spray from the scotsmidge forecasting site,last year for the first time,i use to use skin so soft but
it never worked,smidge does what it says on the tin,if i had a car load i would have sold the lot to people who tried it.
some will say its expensive,but sos can coast you £7-8 on the west coast around fort bill etc.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I was out at Arrochar and the Succoth caves. The caves are forrested, damp and windless this morning. Zero midges. The driest I have ever seen the Arrochar paths, woods etc. So non out there. I'm in Rhu just now, a summer midge hotspot, none here. The midge eater is not turned on yet.

Early May is when they start normally. No frog spawn in the still ditches up in Arrochar. Very little rain in March.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
They were out'n'bout around here last week, earliest we have seen them in the 10 years we've been up here.

Bones

Oct 27, 2008
Ireland
Midges were out biting here in west of Ireland yesterday. Ticks have been in full force for the last month

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
All clear last week in Kintyre. Had a borrowed time feel about though.
They normaly start up there around the end of april but it's been so mild and was easily warm enough for the little blighters to think about waking up.

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
Reporting back: I'm glad to say we had a lovely time up in the Trossachs and I didn't get bitten once by tick or midge thankfully.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE