Any knowledgeable bikers out there?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
For a few years now I have been contemplating trading my car in for a bike. So firstly is this a feasible option? At the moment my car gets little use (my wife also drives so we have a second car that we use for personal use). At the moment get to use my works vehicle to commute as I am on call but this is likely to change as times get harder.

So is it cheaper to run a bike? When using it I would be driving to work mostly, which would mean up to 3 hours driving a day. So I'd be looking for a comfortable, reliable and economical runner really! What would you sugged?

Any of you ride all year? What do I need to consider?

Thank you in advance.

Leo

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
If I had to go back to riding to work I would probably buy a Kawasaki er500 or similar that the riding schools use, cheap tyres and spares. I don't like small wheels on bikes but if comfort and keeping a bit warmer is a big factor, a Yamaha 500cc scooter has the speed to keep up with cars and overtake should you need to, big comfy seat and a screen.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
In my experience its more expensive running a bike than a van.
Possibly because because I have very little self control on a bike and like to get the throttle past the rusty spot where as in the van I don't mind pottering on at 60.

Tyres. I get them in threes, two rears and a front cos I seem to go through about two rears to a front, that's just over 200 quid. I don't seem to get many miles from them with a bike either.
Fuel. Bikes are about as aerodynamic as a breadvan and it shows in fuel consumption.

You get wet on a bike, not so bad if you're an officewallah but if you also work outside getting wet in the way to work then spending the whole day wet can be a real drag.

I absolutely love bikes and have done for years but I don't see them as a practical form of everyday transport unless you work in a massive stinking city where the fact that you can weave between cars means they are a lot faster to get to work on than driving a car.

Most rural places and by the time you get the bike unlocked, started to warm it up, get kitted up, fuel up every day, lock the bike up at the other end, get changed when you arrive at work, blah blah blah. you could have been there in a car with less hassle.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Early 40's and ride every day except snow or ice, don't even have a car on the road these days.

Only 12 miles a day for my commute 8 miles of which are filtering through stationary traffic, so even in really bad weather I'm not out in it for long;
3 hours is pretty hardcore but with the right equipment perfectly do-able.

I've got full hard luggage for a faired Bandit 600 but generally only need top box for the commute, the rest get attached for camping or shopping.

Unless you never see snow or ice where you live there will be days you WILL want/need an alternative.

44 mpg, £180 per year for multi bike insurance, middle bracket for road tax & £25 MOT
Do all my own spannering so running costs less than £250 year for 6000 miles, and the most fun I have wearing leather.

I'd also only recommend it to people who have good observational skills, aren't easily intimidated, and are ever so slightly mad ;-)

Go on you know you want too .......

Last edited:

Biker

Have to agree with demographic to some degree, but you can't beat it for the sheer fun factor... when the sun's shining or in mild weather. Once late October rolls around till early April it can be a pain in the butt. But you say a three hour drive to work, then I would say that's about 2 hours too long. IN the winter months you'll freeze if you don't have the right kit and if it's the same route to work everyday you run the risk of becoming mind-numb with boredom and could end up as a statistic.

Biking can be economical compared to a car, but that depends on the bike of course. A "Plastic Fantastic" sports bike can outrun a Ferrari in acceleration and is therefore juicy, but one of those big step-thru scooters look really Eco-friendly, not to mention comfy. At least your legs are protected from the elements to a certain degree one one of those.

Since we've got the summer on the horizon I'd suggest you get yourself down to a riding school of some type and ask for some basic lessons and see if you like it first, then decide if it's what you want to keep doing. Any instructor worth his salt ought to advise you honestly.

Hope this opinion helps, but it IS an opinion. I rode to work on bikes of one sort for 25 years through sleet, snow and rain and on rare days sunshine. I loved it and miss it, but the bike's in the garage and I'm waiting on new brake pads so I can get out on it again, but it's become a toy for me since I haul a heavy toolbox about in my day job. I have to say I don't miss the cold hands and knees or the heart in my mouth feeling when the back end skips out on black ice or some numpty cuts in front of me without looking as he turns right as I'm overtaking.

Ride safe if you choose that route.

PS Well said VANDEEN

Last edited:

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Kind of depends on what sort of bike you want/would be happy with. 30+ years ago a 500cc machine was a big one, these days it is regarded as a small bike.

If you are commuting then do you need a fast bike ? Not if you want it to be cheap. There are plenty of 'tough as old boots' Honda CB500/Suzuki GS500/Kawasaki ER5 type bikes out there. Generally if the model was popular with learner schools they were pretty tough and cheapish to keep on the road.

Keep the throttle hand calm and you should get in excess of 60mpg on most.

If cheapness is all then look at some of the 125s on the market, much cheaper on tyres, chains etc, and can be awesome on fuel.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
I don't know if I'm that knowledgeable but 3 hours of commute (as opposed to fun riding) is a bit too much and will be tough on you after the novelty wears off. A small engined and/or diesel cheapo car with just a heater and no radio will still be more comfortable & cheaper to run especially in winter.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
What you need is something like this that I saw today.

Nice economical, reliable Honda engine and a jet turbine to give that much needed boost up hills.
DSC01539_zpsd39584ba.jpg

DSC01538_zpsf3de39ae.jpg

DSC01540_zpsea7dc1b7.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE