Any double glazing experts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
First, Mods if this is in the wrong place then please move / remove as you see fit. :)

There are several windows that have blown on our bungalow, the windows don't appear to have the removable trim as they are very old, so does this mean that the only option is to replace the whole windows fram and all?

Any help as always is very much appreciated!

Cheers

Jon

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You should be able to remove, delicately perhaps, at least one bit of beading/trim to get the glazing changed; I can't remember ever seeing a 'sealed' window frame. It may be that you need to break or damage some of the trim but that's a lot cheaper and easier than doing the whole frame, eh?, and that stuff is easily replaceable.

You don't say what the frames are made of or what condition they're in?

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
these windows as far as I know are OLD, and knowing the guy who was in the house before us (We've been in 3 years) they would be the cheapest option available at the time.
The newer windows on the back of the house and conservatory have the trim that can be removed with a putty knife to remove the glazing.
The ones on the front have the black rubber seals between the glazing and the frame work, but the frame work looks, bonded in a way that there is no removable parts?
They are UPVC and in decent condition, and to be honest, I really cant afford to replace the entire windows at the moment!

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Daft question but some of the older versions had beading either inside or out, I think it was out and the newer ones inside, you have looked at both ? sorry not implying anything, just options :)

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Daft question but some of the older versions had beading either inside or out, I think it was out and the newer ones inside, you have looked at both ? sorry not implying anything, just options :)

Haha Yeah i was looking on youtube and a vid showed some chaps taking the beading from the outside! Doh! went and checked and yep its on the outside! never even thought about it, as the others are on the inside I assumed they were all like that so nobody could just pop a window and jump on in! :asshat:
Don't I feel the fool! thank you for your input guys!

Reactions: bopdude

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Haha Yeah i was looking on youtube and a vid showed some chaps taking the beading from the outside! Doh! went and checked and yep its on the outside! never even thought about it, as the others are on the inside I assumed they were all like that so nobody could just pop a window and jump on in! :asshat:
Don't I feel the fool! thank you for your input guys!

Lol, just thought I would mention it :) and yes, you're right, the reason for changing the beading to internal was that exact reason, the bandito's were just popping the external beading, remove the double glazed unit and boom, job done, glad you're sorted :)

Reactions: Turnip

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
German and Swedish made plastic frame windows had internally removable glass casettes 25 years ago.
Must be a British thing, making the glass removable from the outside?
So the burglar does not hurt himself?

I was warned by the Police not to put razor wire around my property in Sussex as the burglar could sue me. 18 years sgo.

Reactions: Turnip

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Now you know how to take the glass out you can measure accurately the height width and importantly the thickness. Then order your own and fit them your self ;)

Take the longer beads out first as they have more flex and are therefore easier to remove, then short. Reverse for fitting.

Also try to block up the glass/unit so that it doesn't touch the bottom of the frame so stays dry.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Now you know how to take the glass out you can measure accurately the height width and importantly the thickness. Then order your own and fit them your self ;)

Take the longer beads out first as they have more flex and are therefore easier to remove, then short. Reverse for fitting.

Also try to block up the glass/unit so that it doesn't touch the bottom of the frame so stays dry.

Yep already on it, a mate whose caretaker at a local school mentioned they had to replace a few and he'd found a chap who does just the glass delivered or will fit if needed so going to give him a shout sometime this week!

appreciate the advise on this mate!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE