Any Devon bushcrafters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I am in Devon and looking to start my bushcrafty journey and would love to tag along with like minded folks if possible to give me some guidance and set me in the right direction, I have a few bits of gear so I'm limited in what I can do eg. Overnight gear but days out would be a good start.

Dave

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I am in Devon and looking to start my bushcrafty journey and would love to tag along with like minded folks if possible to give me some guidance and set me in the right direction, I have a few bits of gear so I'm limited in what I can do eg. Overnight gear but days out would be a good start.

Dave

You do have the advantage of dartmoor, one of the few wildcamping permissable areas in england.

Drewsteignton is worth a look, nice valley and river. near castle drogo.
very good place for day trips.

you have the benefit of exeter which has the excellent endicotts, one of the best bushcraft shops, just up the road from that there is kitup ( or similar name) for more modern and expensive gear. also the mountain warehouse in exeter has a huge discount area on the top floor.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
You do have the advantage of dartmoor, one of the few wildcamping permissable areas in england.

Drewsteignton is worth a look, nice valley and river. near castle drogo.
very good place for day trips.

you have the benefit of exeter which has the excellent endicotts, one of the best bushcraft shops, just up the road from that there is kitup ( or similar name) for more modern and expensive gear. also the mountain warehouse in exeter has a huge discount area on the top floor.

Is that near fingle bridge I thought that was all farmland I'll have a look and see where camping etc. Is allowed I'd feel weird not knowing who's land I was on.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Is that near fingle bridge I thought that was all farmland I'll have a look and see where camping etc. Is allowed I'd feel weird not knowing who's land I was on.

Thats right
its good for day bushcrafting, some years back, castle drogo, who own the land gave me permission to wildcamp if i was out of site of the paths but i never got round to it.

its a lovely valley is all.river, trees, classic devon.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I'll certainly have a look round there I had a very enjoyable walk round there though it's very busy by the bridge/pub but quietens down the further out you go, I certainly need to teach myself it's ok to leave the footpath and go exploring.

Dave

LeeMcAllen

Jan 17, 2015
Exeter, Devon
Hi Dave!

What part of Devon are you in?

I'm based up in North Devon and a couple of friends and I frequent Dartmoor. Best bet is to buy an OS map and get to know which areas are OK and then just go out and explore. Just last week we found a lovely little spot for an overnighter within a 30 minute walk of the Warren House Inn.

This article from OS is really useful for a beginner: https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getoutside/guides/wild-camping-on-dartmoor/

Worth getting a little hobo stove for brewing up due to the no fire policy.

Lee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE