Any decent telescopic fishing rods on the market ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've had a few over the years but they usually end up falling apart.

Are there any good ones to go for at the moment ?

I saw the Shimano Exage a few weeks ago which looked pretty sturdy, but at £50 a pop for the 7ft they're not cheap.

Any suggestions ?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Rich, seen this question before and I think peeps usually say to buy the shimano.
Be interested myself as I've just bought a canoe.
Dave

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Havent Aldi and Lidl recently had quite a bit of fishing kit in not sure of the quality etc I am interested in this too as I want to have a go on the Scottish beach trip. Ive got a couple of older ones with reels I need some lures etc but I dont want to spend a fortune as its not my main area of interest.

One question is a beach casting reel really needed or can I use a bog standard reel.???

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
I have the shimano exage, ive also had many other telescopic rods which have snapped or had thing fall off. I would say its definately worth the money if you will be using it seriously as all the cheap ones add up. I got mine from tackleshop.co.uk for around £50

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I too have used many over the years but have settled on shimano multi section rods,they come apart to the same size as the telescopics but are a much better rod.

Pm sent Shewie

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Ron Thompson rods are good I've been using one for years and would buy another if I some how broke the one I have.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I alway thought telescopics were junk, but i seen soloman shimano one it it was a belter, i would defo check out the exage range. Ron thompson on the other hand i would question, sorry Iain but i havent seen a decent product from them at all.

I think sometimes we forget that our rods are an accessory to our bushcraft and that means inevitably they get knocked around a bit in a pack. I always buy cheap rods and pay around £10-15 for a telescopic rod and bought an expensive reel (£60) as the reel does most of the work. My last cheap rod lasted 7 years of hard abuse lying around in a canoe and kayak before one of the rings fell off and I had to buy another.

I've seen the shimano exages and they are cracking rods but I don't fancy carrying one of them around in a pack or bottom of the canoe unless it was in a plastic pipe with end caps. I like my gear to be readily accessable and I guess a cheap rod means that I can be less precious with it and it becomes a real user. It all depends on how seriously you take the fishing.

I do prefer my fly fishing so I have a travel fly rod and reel that comes with me too.

Ws

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Aldi have got tel rods at the mo £16.99 with reel.
The all purpose looked ok but then I haven't been fishing for 20+ YEARS!
I did wonder if a section rod in some plumbers tubing would be a better idea though?
D

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
You do know that new rings can be fitted to even the cheapest of rods. Some of my rods are over 50 years old now and still going strong (Ie older than me) :D

I think sometimes we forget that our rods are an accessory to our bushcraft and that means inevitably they get knocked around a bit in a pack. I always buy cheap rods and pay around £10-15 for a telescopic rod and bought an expensive reel (£60) as the reel does most of the work. My last cheap rod lasted 7 years of hard abuse lying around in a canoe and kayak before one of the rings fell off and I had to buy another.

I've seen the shimano exages and they are cracking rods but I don't fancy carrying one of them around in a pack or bottom of the canoe unless it was in a plastic pipe with end caps. I like my gear to be readily accessable and I guess a cheap rod means that I can be less precious with it and it becomes a real user. It all depends on how seriously you take the fishing.

I do prefer my fly fishing so I have a travel fly rod and reel that comes with me too.

Ws

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Woodsmoke ,the shimano take apart rods do come in a plastic tube.
Shewie search on this site for shimano exage. worldseafishing.com

You do know that new rings can be fitted to even the cheapest of rods. Some of my rods are over 50 years old now and still going strong (Ie older than me) :D
Yeagh sure I just couldn't get the right size in my local angling centre.

As for the Shimano exage thats cool, the one I saw in the sale didn't come in any case...well it was a sale! Ole smokey bought one and he is chuffed to bits with his.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
Woodsmoke, solomans rod came in a protective case think that would be excellent for a pack or the bottom of a canoe, if was a real belter of a set up. I never really rated shimano rods, i have had 2 both about the £200 mark and wasnt keen on them, but the exage kit i seen was a cracking thing, well impressed!!!! wonder if i could sneak one under the wifes new fishing tackle radar!!

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Another shout for the shimano Rich.

Mine is a joy to use (which is really the whole point isn't it?) and has the feeling of real quality about it.

Mine is the 270 and it came with a hard cordura tube that has a pouch at one end for a small reel.

I think shimano have pretty much cornered the market for the £30 plus but under £100 spinning rods.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
For sub £100 spinning rods shimano doesnt even have a look in, there telescopic exage rods are excellent for a telescopic rods but not their standard rod range, they are slow and soft.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/

sub £100 the premier spinning rods have to be about the best. I have never seen rods so fast anywhere I have fished in the world, I am slowly converting all my lure rods to St Croix

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
For sub £100 spinning rods shimano doesnt even have a look in, there telescopic exage rods are excellent for a telescopic rods but not their standard rod range, they are slow and soft.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/

sub £100 the premier spinning rods have to be about the best. I have never seen rods so fast anywhere I have fished in the world, I am slowly converting all my lure rods to St Croix

Never heard of them mate and I can't find much written about them, although they look very nice.

Do they make telescopic rods?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll

Ws

Where do you get the cheap rods from? Sounds like a plan to me.. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE