Any collapsable rod users ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Yep, usually if it got Shimano on it it'll be decent!

Sedonas are good for the £ too. My favourite FS reels are the Abu sorons at the moment, very nice they are-every bit as good as the Stradic.
Theres alot of good budget gear about, stick to the reputable brands though

I've never had a bad Abu reel, or a bad Abu anything come to that. My Abu perfection spinning rod is exactly that.

Try not to go under 9' for a spinning rod though. You'll find the shorter rods won't cast nearly as far and have a lot less control, especially multi peice rods where each section has a more restrcted bend.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I've never had a bad Abu reel, or a bad Abu anything come to that. My Abu perfection spinning rod is exactly that.

Try not to go under 9' for a spinning rod though. You'll find the shorter rods won't cast nearly as far and have a lot less control, especially multi peice rods where each section has a more restrcted bend.

Not my view, Sorry!

I've done very little fishing other than luring (and fly fishing) for the last 15yrs and at one time it was so bad I had 15 lure rods only 3 were 9/10ft (11 of the constantly set up!......got a bit anal about balanced tackle and all that!) have been an LAS member for many years and once you get into using short rods, correctly balanced and with modern braids and reels with flawless line lay then longer lure rods are just a bit dated and by that I am refering to longer than 8ft.
Ask any modern lure angler and they will tell you the same, shorter rods give you SO much more control for imparting the action into modern lures and braid has nil stretch so hook sets are good too. I still like a longer rod for my Bass fishing, helps with rocks and surf and even for the use of spoons and spinnerbaits for pike and I can see the benefits of using one where there is current or bankside vegetation but in lure angling length means nothing these days.

I like spincast reels, can't tell you why because the performance is pretty shocking but they are just cool!

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I prefer a longer rod just because they're more versatile especially if it's not just lure fishing you want to do. For a holiday rod I'd rather have something that can cast a float of any size or do some ledgering, just because you don't know what you'll end up fishing for or how you need to catch it.

The Shimano break down rods come with a section to reduce the length if you want but I've never used it. I've used it float fishing bread in mediterranean harbours on tiny hooks, ledgering for sea fish off the boat, spinning on large and small waters and it's always been a great allrounder. For one particular task though yeah get the right rod for the job and one that suits you and your style.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I know a chap who's mate used several sections of antler hollowed out and with tags on which were then bound to a stick. - coupled with a fly reel and you have a go-er.

granted it isn't exactly collapsible but worth a try??

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
I've got a blackwater tele fly rod, which is yet to land any trout, but the first time I used it I managed to land a 6lb chub (my first chub btw).
I've used it to catch way over 40 carp over the summer - both on a fly reel or a normal reel and on floating baits. Puts all the fight of the fish onto your wrist so you get maximum excitement out of each take.

It's my preference, but i like to have a bit of grip above the reel, a tele fly rod can do this. best £30 in fishing!

bigbeewee

Dec 18, 2010
worldwide
I do a lot of world travel for my job, I always carry a shimano exage telescopic spinning rod and a shimano travel fly rod.

Both pack down incredibly small, the fly rod is a 6-9 weight and 9 foot

The spinning road at first feel, seems very light weight, but this week I have been pulling 4+ KG barramundi out of ponds at a fish farm I'm helping on. It dealt with they no problem on very thin 6kg braid

The spinning set up is so balance light, precise and with braid its a joy to use. The responsiveness of the braid means you can feel every bump of your bait/spinner

I'll take my camera down this afternoon and have a flick

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
This was on a pound shop rod and £10 reel. The lure cost more than both of them. This was the biggest, had 5 more the same evening

It would be a picture of a reasonable pike but i cant put it up, sorry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE