Another staff question. sorry :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
hey all, following on from a previous post regarding some help making my first staff. I ordered a nice 54" hazel shank while the wood i collected seasons. So my question is about finishing it. I'm going to remove all the loose bark with a small piece of wire wool now all the guides i have read use teek oil. Can i use linseed oil instead as i have a huge bottle of it?

Thanks guys!!

P.s. pics will follow when its completed.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Is your linseed boiled or raw the raw takes a long time to go off so it will remain sticky for a long while.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
No problem mate, it's what it's all about. Good luck with it and don't forget to post some pics.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've had success treating timber with a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed and paraffin/kerosene. Smells good, soaks into the timber. A residue of the kero remains in the timber, helps preserve it.

Don't let it 'dry wet' on your staff, tho. Wipe it on so that the wood is 'wet' with the oil on the surface. Leave for a hour or so, add some more. Leave that for 30m then wipe off.

The linseed oil will oxidise to a rubbery wax. You don't want that on the outside of the wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE