Another singer gone.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not as high profile as some of the recent deaths but a great voice and very good artist.
Colin Verncombe, better known as Black who's best known hit was Wonderful Life, died yesterday at the age of 53.
He'd been involved in a car accident last week where he sustained head injuries.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Quite shocked to hear this last night, My first wife (ex for 20+years) passed away last May and her funeral plan was to be carried in to her "Celebration of life" to Black singing "Wonderful life", We honoured that wish and every time I hear that tune a memory rolls down from a leaking tear duct...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry to hear that Wingstoo, it is a lovely choice for a funeral, respectful, thoughtful & at the same time uplifting.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A Wonderfull Life, not my kind of music but it was a brilliant and catchy song, oddly enough it was playing in my local supermarket at the weekend, I couldn't get it out of my head all day.

A sad loss and only 53.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
My wife and I shared a hotel dinning table with Colin and his partner during our honeymoon tour of Scotland. It was that or they ate in their room!! At the time I was compiling a compilation of 70's John Peel session tracks for the Strange Fruit record label. We spent most of the meal talking about Maggie Reilly (Cado Belle and vocals for Mike Oldfield) and to my eternal shame I never once mentioned Black's music!

My recollection was of a very non music industry or conceited type of person. Quite refreshing as was his genuine interest in my project and that is was a labour of love rather than revenue generated.

In short I warmed to him and do like some of his music but not as much as my wife.

Life is so damn short

K

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE