ANOTHER request for advice on jackets please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK
I know this has almost been done to death :roll: but thought you are the peeps who'd know...
Been looking for a jacket for some weeks, needs to be pretty 'bombproof' as it'll be used year round on days hillwalking, gundog working/training in the wilds, beating on the shoot, the odd woodland excursion to cut sticks etc. Got the old Barbour and but I sweat like a pig in it (!) and I want something very breathable but not a £250 job.
I've been looking at the SASS SAS Smock (with seperate G'tex liner£135'ish), Arktis Waterproof (Fixed liner - not keen £150 - 185'ish) or Windproof (buy seperate liner from SASS? £130'ish) or...an M65 with that liner again (£75'ish).
Are the SASS/Arktis worth the extra over the M65? Just how 'showerproof' are they in practice? Are the M65's heavy compared to the other 2? Any recommendations or advice please chaps?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
M65 (£75?) take a look at my site you might be surprised.

But thats by the by for all the things your prescribing I would say dont think type think Material - for beating ect where your pushing through brairs and gorse and brambles ect the rip stop of Arctic would be better than the cotton of SASS however 65/45 polycotton would be better yet (its the same mix as army lightweight trousers) - but the price of both would mean M65 is better still.

However M65 needs to be treated to be waterproof. But if I read your entry your thinking waterproof liner for the other two anyway.

M65 is probably heavier than the other two - remove the liner and it'll be light enough.

For storage space both the others are better - sass will even add pockets to your spec.

One last thought you could buy 2 M65 for the price of one of the others.

Another material you never mentioned was Ventile - very costly but tough as old boots and long lasting single skin isnt waterproof contry to what some people would say so if you want waterproof you need a double layer and that is serious pennies but you'll likely get a jacket that lasts a far old while..

So theres your choices - rip stop, cotton gaberdine, 65/45 poly/cotton or ventile.

Hope that helped.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
If storage is a priority then the Arktis Sniper Smock is hard to beat! I don't even know how many pockets are on mine! I's not waterproof (I have treated it and it's pretty goos though) and dries fast. The ripstop polycotton mix is also excellent!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE