Another quinzhee inspired by jon r - picture heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Inspired by jon r's successful quinze, I had a go at building one down here on the Land's end peninsula - a Cornish quinzhee :)

First, I marked out the overall shape, then dug out the snow. Apparently, if you build on existing snow there is a danger that the layers of snow will have different tensions and cause the structure to become unstable.
picture.php

It was still snowing during the day while I was piling up snow. However, temperatures were around 1 - 0 degrees C and I was concerned about a thaw making things dangerous. It took me ages to build a pile of snow large enough, as we only had 2 - 4 inches.
Once done, I inserted foot long bamboo poles (pilfered from the old runner bean row).
picture.php

After inserting the sticks, I covered the ends in more snow because I wanted to avoid the snow melting. (Dark things absorb more heat) At last, it was ready to leave so the snow could settle. I left it overnight.
This morning, I hollowed out the inside.
Completed quinzhee
picture.php

Inside - that stick is just over a foot in length
picture.php

It was just long enough for me to lie down
picture.php

But not quite high enough to sit up!
picture.php

Air hole for increased ventilation
picture.php

Last edited:

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Thanks, Might have a go myself this weekend at the Rough Close Meet, if the snow is still there. :)
I used to camp at Rough Close when I lived in Coventry! Great spot - have fun :)
If you do try a quinzhee, it would probably help to put a long vertical pole in the middle before you pile up the snow. That way, when hollowing it out, you'll know when you've got to the middle. Also, it's surprising how hot you get. Definitely wear layers and preferably have a dry change of clothes for when you finish.

Thanks for posting, did you spend the night in it?
Sadly, temperatures are much higher today and everything is melting. I don't think it would be safe to overnight in it :( If it was still below freezing I would have done.

Last edited:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I used to camp at Rough Close when I lived in Coventry! Great spot - have fun :)
If you do try a quinzhee, it would probably help to put a long vertical pole in the middle before you pile up the snow. That way, when hollowing it out, you'll know when you've got to the middle. Also, it's surprising how hot you get. Definitely wear layers and preferably have a dry change of clothes for when you finish.

Yes, definitely a great spot, thanks to Decorum, we have regular Meets there, a lovely wood with a great "feel " to it.

Thanks for the tip:D

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I raced out this morning to see what had become of my quinzhee in the torrential rain and high winds we'd had over the previous 36 hours...
picture.php

I was pleasantly surprised to see that it hadn't fallen in even though the walls can only be about 5 inches thick now! Also shows the construction quite nicely. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE