Another North Wales Paddle???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
Hi seen the thread about the llangollen paddle you done in the summer and was wondering if anyone fancied one at the end of feb, no idea of location but wouldnt mind making a weekend of it, but i not got a clue of where to go and what not with me being a canoe noob only had it 6 months so any suggestions? or any takers for that matter!!!

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
Splendid, any ideas on location firebreather, looking your way because you organised the last one ha ha ha ha, either do another trip down a canal with some camping or a weekend at a lake with beers and beers and fire, either way is ace with me :D

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Splendid, any ideas on location firebreather, looking your way because you organised the last one ha ha ha ha, either do another trip down a canal with some camping or a weekend at a lake with beers and beers and fire, either way is ace with me :D

:rolleyes: Stu from apache canoes was the driving force behind the last paddle down Llangollen canal. I just posted the trip up for others to join us if they wanted ;) I dont really know the area at all so any other camping or trips will be open to advice from other members. Red Kite was chatting about a few places when we did the canal so hopefully he will be able to sort a few ideas out.

Cheers Greg

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Guys

How about the following options

Saturday

Meet at Llyn Gwynant campsite (SE of Snowdon alongside the A498) - paddle the lake, evening around the campfire. If we get enough numbers I'll contact the campsite and see if he'll do us a deal on his bunkhouse (last time it cost about £10 / head).

Sunday

Drive to Llangollen (about 1 hour) and do the following route

Put in at the motor museum above Llangollen then down to Trevor Basin for lunch. After lunch you get to go over the Pontcysyllte aquaduct (excellent views and you can test your head for heights -126 foot straight down).
Then on down to Chirk through the Whitehouse Tunnel.

Date wise w/end of 28th Feb is good for me.

ATB

Stewart

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If only I were free that w/e!:(
Mind you - with my fear of hights (or more accurately - drops - I would have to think hard about the aquaduct...I was nearly sick walking over it....and on that side there is a railing!

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I will have to check my rota at work but it sounds good to me . If i can get the time off anyway :cool: . If not I will try and get down for at least one of the days.

Greg

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I will find out in the next couple of days what my rotas are for the end of the month and I will confirm then.
Any further ideas about what to paddle / where to camp etc ?

Greg

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
Meet at Llyn Gwynant campsite (SE of Snowdon alongside the A498) - paddle the lake, evening around the campfire. If we get enough numbers I'll contact the campsite and see if he'll do us a deal on his bunkhouse (last time it cost about £10 / head).

Sunday

Drive to Llangollen (about 1 hour) and do the following route

Put in at the motor museum above Llangollen then down to Trevor Basin for lunch. After lunch you get to go over the Pontcysyllte aquaduct (excellent views and you can test your head for heights -126 foot straight down).
Then on down to Chirk through the Whitehouse Tunnel

seems to be a good plan

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Hi Singeblister, sorry to hear you wont be able to make it. Hopefully catch up wih you on anothter trip.

For those still able to come a link for the campsite and some nice pictures of the lake.

http://www.gwynant.com/

There's not going to be enough of us to book a barn, so I'll put a post over on SOTP and see if we can get a few more paddlers. Otherwise it will be tents for all.

Cheers

Stewart

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Hi Guys

Campsite at Llyn Gwynant is not open until March.

I'm trying to arrange access to some woods near llangollen, I'll post up on Monday with the result

Cheers

Stewart

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Hi Guys

Plan B

I have arranged access to some woodlands above Llangollen and we can stay there for the weekend.

I will probably travel up Friday afternoon, stay in the woods Friday night and then drive over to Llyn Gwynant on saturday morning. Returning to the woods for Saturday night.

In the event of bad weather we can stay in the woods and do bushcrafty things for the weekend.

Those intending to come please pm me and I will forward details of the wood.

Please note there is a walk of about a mile to get to the wood so travel light.

ATB

Stewart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE