Another mixed up year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
While out on a family trip on saturday I couldn't beleive the stark contrasts in what seemed to be happening around the country.
The car radio warned of possible blizzards coming to the northern parts of the British Isles, yet as we walked around Sherringham park in Norfolk we saw rhododendron flowers in bloom - in the second week of January! :?:
Are we in for another year of mixed up, blurred together seasons?
Anyone else noticed any anomalies?

Dave

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
the shoots for the wild flowers are already through in my local wood

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
One day the bulbs are coming up in the garden and the next the car is iced and we had a snow shower yesterday.

Oh for a country where the seasons are predictable. My parents lived in Africa before I was born and in the rainy season they say you could almost set your watch by the time it started raining at 5pm EVERY day.

Bill

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Following 2 weeks of heavy rains, we are getting some excellent 70+ degree T-shirt weather and it's expected to continue for awhile. I could have sworn that I saw a mosquito in our home last evening. My wifes roses, along with many other plants and a few trees, which are usually resting this time of year, are starting to show some signs of new life. Birds that are usually gone this time of year are not leaving on their annual migration and others that usually show in the spring are here already. But then, we're seeing birds that usually don't frequent our area too.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
That will only be a distant memory now I am afraid, Africa is becoming dry and arid, there are now very serious problems in Southern and Western parts of Africa, partially because of climate change but also because of human impact.

Greg

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
greg2935 said:
That will only be a distant memory now I am afraid, Africa is becoming dry and arid, there are now very serious problems in Southern and Western parts of Africa, partially because of climate change but also because of human impact.

Greg

30 years ago in Kenya Greg. Quite high up in the mountains.

Bill

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Do not really know Kenya well, but know Zimbabwe, South Africa, Botswana, Zambia,Namibia and Mozambeque very well, the area I grew up in was quite lush in the seventies with that thick african scrub land you get in the wetter areas, by the eighties it looked more like savanna, in the 90s, somewhat more like desert.

Greg

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I've noticed the same things and wondering if it was just me! The strong winds we've had lately just don't fit right for January!!

(There have also been clouds of mosquitos hovering over the trees continuously since the summer. OK they're probably not actually mossies, but they bite just the same and I've never seen insecets like that in the winter before! :shock:)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
our bulbs pocked their heads up just after new year.. but this has been apparent for the last few year.. we mark they day that we see our fist swallow each year on the calender and thats been getting earlier and earlier every year too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE