Another Axe build

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
After selling my Condor Scout hatchet I was wanting a similar but smaller axe for camp light duties as I'm not overly keen on battening. I won this tiny Gilpins vintage axe for £13 delivered and set about making some mods.

750cdcaa4f289ab0638344850f03b67b_zps74a25b88.jpg

I first ground a new shape and took off the mushroomed metal on the poll. I didnt like the handle so took that off and will rehang with a new one which I am going to try a laminated multi wood version.

This is is as far as I have got as I'm now down with this coughing virus that's going around! The woods are Box, Paduk and Ebony.

72474da4be71eba6af7588e1346f2385_zpsnb1ztuie.jpg

Will be interesting how it turns out I think? Will update when I can....

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thanks guys, I think I will have to add some more wood at the bottom front end as I'm wanting a curved handle like the GB wildlife axe. The colours will be seen on the sides once finished and if it goes ok I may do a matching knife but with thinner layers?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Never seen a laminated axe handle before.. at least that I know of so definitely interested in this one!

Nice reshape too!

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Where did you get your hands on Ebony?
I was going to have a guess at the woods before re-reading your post and would have guessed at Wenge for the black timber.......only because I have been making hinges from Wenge today though:D

Rob.

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
This should be interesting with a laminated handle, you could have started a new fashion here.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
You wait for my next project, chess board type laminations through the whole knife blank! It's actually easier to make than it sounds! I think 5 mm cubes should be pretty cool?

noonan79

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2012
cheshire
Maybe a stupid question but how did you re shape the head? Only asking as I've got a brades axe that looks like that one did but it seems quite heavy for small camp duties and would like to re shape/ loose a bit of weight and do something similar. Looks very good btw and looking forward to the end result

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thanks for the question, I wrap the blade end with wet tissue and keep it wet so as to not loose the temper. Then I just go at the metal with a combination of angle grinder, hacksaw, dremel with speed clic grinding discs, bench grinder and small linisher!
Using a hacksaw for the bulk removal gets the metal the least hot and there is no reason why just saw and files could not do the job, just much much slower! The Dremel (I use a £15 Chinese rotary tool) is great for final shaping using the genuine speed clic bits.

I'm gonna try and do a bit more today but will see how I feel, so weak!!!

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
If I'm remembering correctly it was from Axminster tools. It is absolutely jet black stuff!

Yeah I know, got a bit of 20mm ebony dowel somewhere but a few years back I had to stain up some bits of maple as we could not find ebony (though I am not sure how hard the boss looked for it ;)) never seen it in my local Axy either but the choices there are pretty much turning based and limited at that.
Judging by the look of the ebony breakout/splinter points (similar looking to wenge issues I have seen) sanding to shape rather than spokeshave/planing may be a way to go for a clean finish.

Rob.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Did a bit more, hung the head and started to shape the handle. Added extra wood for the flared handle bottom and waiting for it to cure. Need to clean up the eye a bit but is pretty solid!

2bd80045c9e4fcad9b78b9b64d1d166a_zpsheaffofh.jpg

e3ee036df7d3a3af59b3c77d1b69efff_zpspggynqvb.jpg

May get some more done tomorrow.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thanks! I have some 0.5mm copper sheet as it goes so will give it a try though I have not worked copper before. If it works maybe a Copper lanyard tube would be nice as well?

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Thanks! I have some 0.5mm copper sheet as it goes so will give it a try though I have not worked copper before. If it works maybe a Copper lanyard tube would be nice as well?

cool! looking forward to seeing that! maybe epoxy it on, and just a couple of small pins at the join to hold in place... thats gonna look sweeeeet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE