anonyed with gransfors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

geforce83

Jul 8, 2010
sheffield
hi guys bit of a rant here so i'll appologise 1st.

I purchased a granfors small forrest axe last year at the bushcraft show, i have had problems with this axe not holding a edge and thought it must be me untill i compaired it to a new axe on the gransfors stand at this years bushcraft show. the axe head is noticably shorter on mine (about 1/2"- 1/4") and is very convex, gransfor said it looks like its been on a grinder and had been reprofiled which it definatly HAS NOT. it has only ever been sharpened with a japenese waterstone field sharpening kit ( 800 grit & 6000 grit) and not very often and i used it mainly as a spliting axe untill recently i have started carving. gransfors seemed very uninterested and have tried to pass it off saying i must have done it because it wouldnt have left there fatory looking like that. it now has to be sent back to gransfors and nordic outdoors have said it might be a few weeks before i see my axe again and they dont think anything will be done. i think this is appauling service and honestly wish i hadnt wasted my money. has anyone else had similar problems? any advice is apreciated.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hey

I don't own a gransfors axe, never have and probably never will - however I think given that over a year has passed before you submitted a complaint it is reasonable for them to be suspicious?

M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"it now has to be sent back to gransfors and nordic outdoors have said it might be a few weeks before i see my axe again. i think this is appauling service and honestly wish i hadnt wasted my money. has anyone else had similar problems? any advice is apreciated."

Nothing wrong with that service given the circumstances. A year after buying you present them with a product that appears to have been modified, they take it back to check, pretty good service really.

geforce83

Jul 8, 2010
sheffield
yeah i appreciate it has been a year but until the show this year i didnt have anything to compaire it too to realise there was a problem. to be honest what im most anoyed with isnt the fact the axe isnt perfect, it has been used, i dont even expect a replacement i just wanted them to regrind it or offer a solution. they just dont seem to care the gransfors garuntee isnt worth the paper its writen on.

is 4-6 weeks the norm?

Last edited:

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
It sounds like the person you bought it from has ground it themselves for whatever reason. You should be on the lookout for that seller i suppose and tell them about your problems. Maybe tell Gransfors who you bought it from and it might affect their future as a distributor....unless you bought it directly from gransfors. For the record I have 2 of their axes and love them.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton

I purchased a granfors small forrest axe last year at the bushcraft show, i have had problems with this axe not holding a edge and thought it must be me untill i compaired it to a new axe on the gransfors stand at this years bushcraft show. the axe head is noticably shorter on mine (about 1/2"- 1/4") and is very convex, gransfor said it looks like its been on a grinder and had been reprofiled which it definatly HAS NOT. it has only ever been sharpened with a japenese waterstone field sharpening kit ( 800 grit & 6000 grit) and not very often and i used it mainly as a spliting axe untill recently i have started carving. gransfors seemed very uninterested and have tried to pass it off saying i must have done it because it wouldnt have left there fatory looking like that. it now has to be sent back to gransfors and nordic outdoors have said it might be a few weeks before i see my axe again and they dont think anything will be done. i think this is appauling service and honestly wish i hadnt wasted my money. has anyone else had similar problems? any advice is apreciated.

Who did you buy it from? If granfors say its been modofied then your beef is with the seller not the manufacturer

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
I have the same axe and bought it from Nordic outdoors and have found both it and them to be absolutely outstanding so all I can do is sympathise and hope you find a solution

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A few weeks turn around isnt a long time, especialy as they are not UK based.
You say you had nothing to compare it too yet didnt really see a problem until you compared it to a new axe nearly a year later? If the problem is simply that you are not happy with the grind albeit almost a year later can you not just sharpen it into more of a scandi if thats the edge you want? I find a convex much easier to manage and i too use all mine for carving.
Not quite sure what you wanted them to say and how quick you would expect a tool to be sent to sweeden, examined re-profiled, polished, sharpened and returned to the UK? Free of charge to boot..

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funny you should say that, the cutting edge has receded quite a lot on my GB Kubben hatchet , and I've had it about a year, only difference is, I know for certain it was me who is responsible for this, seeing as its my first axe and it took me an awfully long time to learn how to sharpen it properly.
If you've had the product for a year then I'm really not surprised they're being slightly unsympathetic about it.
cheers

paddy

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I have 2 of their axes & I think they are brilliant, they have been well used & sharpened and they hold a great edge. If it was a 1/2" shorter when you bought it, then surely the axe must of looked a bit weird compared to other axes for sale ? But after a year's worth of use, what do you expect from Gransfors?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
not being funny mate but why don't you regrind it? its not difficult and i would say is part of routine maintenance if used regularally anyway

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hang on! so they have had your Axe back for a look and your ranting even before you have had any kind of result either way? when was the bushcraft show?

Tis the modern way. Our expectation of customer service being instant and always meeting our requirements 100% regardless of our demands seems to be the norm...

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have a fair few gransfors axes. Only time i have ever had an issue was when a brand new felling axe turned up with a head that was bent and had a very uneven grind. I sent some pics off to the retailer and the sent me a new axe free of charge and told me to keep the other. Excellent service.

You are always going to struggle after a year. You could have used that axe for 8 hours a day every day in that year for all they know. :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!

As in the Bushcraft show over the 2nd\4th of June? as in the weekend just gone? so you bimbled up to their store, presented your used axe which you have been using for a year with out complaint, and expected what? I just don't under stand what you were expecting them to do chap? surely you have to agree that bad mouthing a company two\three days after the complaint before any real time has passed and a definitive answer has been given is a bit rash?

Last edited:

geforce83

Jul 8, 2010
sheffield
As in the Bushcraft show over the 2nd\4th of June? as in the weekend just gone? so you bimbled up to their store, presented your used axe which you have been using for a year with out complaint, and expected what? I just don't under stand what you were expecting them to do chap? surely you have to agree that bad mouthing a company two\three days after the complaint before any real time has passed and a definitive answer has been given is a bit rash?

when i "bimbled up to their store" all i expected was some advice i didnt want them to do anything besides have a quick look and see why it wouldnt hold an edge, it wasn't untill they compaired their used axe with mine we could see the difference.
The response i got is why im anoyed, they accused me of causing the damage with a grinder which i dont have, then called me a liar as "it wouldnt have left the factory like that" because their gransfors and some how this means they dont makes mistakes. They then told me if i wanted anything else doing i had to take it to the retailer (nordic outdoors) and send it back, other than that they wouldnt be willing to do anything else and i would have to pay for any repair and the return postage.

I didnt post on here to bad mouth gransfors but this has deffinatly put me off purchasing anything else from them, i just wished to hear of other peoples experiance and advice

not being funny mate but why don't you regrind it? its not difficult and i would say is part of routine maintenance if used regularally anyway

i think this is what im going to do, can you recomend anyone?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I personally don't think they have done anything out the ordinary by referring you to the retailer as they supplied you with the kit, Its the retailers responsibility to right any wrongs IF they are found to be at fault, I have had 4 GB axes, I still have 2 of them and have had no issues with any of them, I have read one account of a rolling edge, but a simple re profile with a sharpening stone or file had sorted the issue, considering the amount of axes made by GB being used by regular posters on here alone I would have absolutely no issue buying more of their products or referring them to anyone above any other axe of a similar cost, too many people post a "Rant" before the issue has been resolved, wouldn't it have been better to have awaited the response from Nordic? any way, Good luck and I hope it all goes smoothly for you chap,

Have fun!

Southey,:)

Last edited:

geforce83

Jul 8, 2010
sheffield
I personally don't think they have done anything out the ordinary by referring you to the retailer as they supplied you with the kit, Its the retailers responsibility to right any wrongs IF they are found to be at fault, I have had 4 GB axes, I still have 2 of them and have had no issues with any of them, I have read one account of a rolling edge, but a simple re profile with a sharpening stone or file had sorted the issue, considering the amount of axes made by GB being used by regular posters on here alone I would have absolutely no issue buying more of their products or referring them to anyone above any other axe of a similar cost, too many people post a "Rant" before the issue has been resolved, wouldn't it have been better to have awaited the response from Nordic? any way, Good luck and I hope it all goes smoothly for you chap,

Have fun!

Southey,:)

Thanks budy,

while gransfors havent done anything wrong as such i just felt they werent at all helpfull when i asked for advice. After speaking to nordic outdoors im gonna get some 1 to sort it in the uk without having to wait for weeks. gransfors just dont seem interested in dealing with it and that has come from nordic outdoors.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE