Android Useful Apps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Recently got a new 'smart' phone ( about 5 years behind the curve of everyone else...) so can anyone suggest any Apps that they find useful/interesting/educational relating to Bushcrafty/Outdoorsy type stuff without me sifting through the few thousand out there?

Cheers

TD

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
I'm not 100% If these are on android as I have them on iOS, but St. John's ambulance first aid is good as a reference. As is the SAS survival guide and one called KnotGuide.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Google Skymaps, point your phone at the night sky and see the constellations mapped out. Very cool and free :).

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Locus pro for navigation, huge amounts of features, OS maps etc,I sue this daily, vast customisation and lots of addons.

tasker can help with emergencies, ie you can make it that if you dont check with the app it will send a alert message, if other half sends you a specially worded text it will reply with your location etc

Lofty SAS survival handbook is probably the best survival guide app available.

Moon reader for ebooks

Serval Mesh , worth a look, disaster based comms, interesting concept.

Smart Tools, not so bushy but very usefull

evernote for journal, stores GPS coord in notes as well, as has map view, ie use this as well as the detailed POI in locus

Random other guides and apps that are bushy related:
Bugs Count, EdibleVeg, Edible And Medicinal PLants, iMushroom Guide, Nature Explorer ( not on play) Rogers Mushroom, Fungi Engine, First Aid ( numerous ones), WebMD, Hammock Tools, Knots 3D, Mountaineering, Usefull Knots, survival350, echo112, Elevation and Sea Depth, National Trust, Days Out, Field Trip, Show Me Hills, Tree identification, Wildflower Identification, Sun Surveyor, Marine Weather by Accuweather, Tide Prediction, Weather Bomb, Weather Services Pro,

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Cheers Guys - I'm also testing a few others out and will update if I've decided if they are any good.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Google maps
Google Earth
Sky maps
Compass
Kindle
Gmail
MX Player (will play any video film you put on your, no need to convert format)
Speaker Boost
Photobucket
Flashlight (uses the phones LED flash as a torch)
Filmon live TV
Backgammon

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Trees of Britain
Birds of Britain
Useful Knots
British Red Cross First Aid
and if you can handle the annoying pop-up adverts - Scrabble

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Aldiko eReader (reads epubs and PDFs amongst others)
UC Browser - fast good video download facility
Dropbox
Springpad
Photoeditot
Tapatalk

via Tapatalk mind control.

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
In no particular order here is some I have installed on device. Not used them all but could be useful...

Emergency Button: Define a phone number and/or an email address and whenever you press the big red button, the distress signal will be sent out to these recipients along with your GPS/Network location (a google maps link) and a personalized message.

MapsWithMe Pro, Offline Maps
:
The fastest offline maps of the entire world. Feel confident while traveling. Maps work everywhere, anytime!

BackCountry Navigator PRO GPS:
Use your phone or tablet as an offroad topo mapping GPS with the bestselling outdoor navigation app for Android! Explore beyond cell coverage for hiking, and trekking.

First Aid:
When you are in a emergency situation, how to deal with it? You need some instructions and First aid is your first choice. (Note: Important to already have first aid skills but just in case use this as fall back/reference etc)

Fungitron - mushroom guide:
HIGHEST number of FREE mushrooms (70), with own, expert verified HQ photos. HIGHEST number of combinable identification parameters (~150).

Geocaching:
Use the Official Geocaching.com App to find cleverly hidden containers. The app unlocks the exclusive coordinates and info for nearly 2 million hidden geocaches.

Knots 3D:
Knots 3D - Tie, untie and rotate 85+ knots with your finger in 3D! ★
Our top-rated 3D knot app, will give you a whole new perspective on knots! Grab a piece of rope and have fun!

Mushrooms PRO:
+ + + The ultimate pocket sized identification tool for mushrooms! + + +
+++ 300 species - 2000 images - identification function - quiz +++

Mushtool - Mushroom:
Mushtool is an application for all the mushroom finders, from amateurs to professionals.

My Tracks:
My Tracks records your path, speed, distance, and elevation while you walk, run, bike, or do anything else outdoors. While recording, you can view your data live, annotate your path, and hear periodic voice announcements of your progress.
- Identify the mushroom with a great quality pictures.

ViewRanger Outdoors GPS & Maps:
Free Global Open Sourced Maps
ViewRanger is the complete offline mapping, navigation & guided trail service for Outdoor Enthusiasts. Perfect for backcountry exploring or simply days out in the frontcountry.

Wild Edibles:
Wild Edibles provides an intuitive and easy to use interface for identifying and using wild edible plants, drawing on the outstanding publications and extensive knowledge of "Wildman" Steve Brill.

SAS Survival Guide:
For over twenty years, the SAS Survival Guide has been the definitive guide to surviving any situation, anywhere in the world. Now, for the first time ever, the million-copy bestselling book and the hugely successful iPhone/iPad app, has been reinvented for the Android.

TVCatchup
Watch live TV with the convenience of an app.

FilmOn
Watch local and international TV stations.

Google Camera
Gives you ability to use Photo Sphere, which basically means you can do full spherical 360 photos like street view :)
(You need Android 4.4 and above though)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Can anyone suggest a good power pack for an Android phone , I have a Moto G and find the only let down is the battery without restricting a lot of the additional functions.
So any suggestions for additional power on the move?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Can anyone suggest a good power pack for an Android phone , I have a Moto G and find the only let down is the battery without restricting a lot of the additional functions.
So any suggestions for additional power on the move?

I have a Powertraveller Powermonkey Extreme 5V for my phone, it's kept my phone alive quite nicely on trips to both Wales and Belgium, neither known for their sun... I have the 5V now, but will be upgrading to the 12V when I can find the money. It's a must for my pack on even day hikes now.

Recently got a new 'smart' phone ( about 5 years behind the curve of everyone else...) so can anyone suggest any Apps that they find useful/interesting/educational relating to Bushcrafty/Outdoorsy type stuff without me sifting through the few thousand out there?

Apps I couldn't live without:
  • Viewranger - Gps tracking, waypoints, buddy beacon and mapping. Free to use (OS maps cost money, but I use the free OSM maps instead).
  • C:Geo Geocaching software, only one worth using.
  • GPS Status GPS info, such as position, satellite info etc...
  • Cyclestreets Cycle route planning software based on open street map.

Those are the main ones of use in the outdoors.

Julia

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Google Skymaps, point your phone at the night sky and see the constellations mapped out. Very cool and free :).

Meteor Shower Calendar is a good one to go along with it. Also free and if you click search while looking at a meteor shower's details it can take
you to google skymaps with a tracking ring steering you in direction of the shower in the sky. Pinpointing it can sometimes be a bit fiddly but still
useful anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE