And so it begins...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...Cider preparation time.

Wellsy and his family, me and mine spent yesterday collecting apples for the "big press" in two weeks time. The weather was rightous and the mood joyous as we scrabbled around several orchards gathering what appears to be a bountiful harvest. We collected a large trailer load (enough to hopefully fill the two 55 gallon barrels). A good selection of eaters and cookers of several varieties.

The day was made all the more condusive with the quaffing of last years brew, and superb lamb stew and apple crumble consumed alfresco and helping the balloonist who landed in the paddock after dinner.

Barrels are being soaked in order to expand and seal the joints. One or two small leaks, but all being well these should resolve by pressing day.

No pics unfortunately as I forgot to take my camera...but wont make that mistake in two weeks...

I've never seen so many apples in one place...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Barrels are sealing well, and press cleaned up and ready for the big day. Just need some new sacking...

DSCF7478copy.jpg

DSCF7479copy.jpg

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Going to start doing mine soon. Smaller scale though, just the one tree but by gum theres been some apples on it this year.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
An early start to a wonderfully mild autumn morning. Everything sorted and the task begins.

first the washing and rough chopping, then into the garden shredder to create a juice laden pomace
cider08008copy.jpg

the first pressing of the day
cider08010copy.jpg

Achieved 5 gallons from each pressing
cider08011copy.jpg

The first barrel filled by mid afternoon
cider08012copy.jpg

Tomorrow we fill the second....It couldn't have gone better if we tried...

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hi Stovie, do you always wash your apples before chopping/pulping. And do you have enough natural yeast left over in the mush to ferment, or add a bit extra.
Cheers.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Hi Stovie, do you always wash your apples before chopping/pulping. And do you have enough natural yeast left over in the mush to ferment, or add a bit extra.
Cheers.

Hi Addo, we tend to be a bit on the purist side, and after a brief wash there is still enough yeasts to ferment. The apples have sat around for a fortnight, so are well into the fermenting even as we press.

that said, I am tempted to add a little sugar in form of a syrup. 6 oz per gallon...give or take...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Again it broke fine and mellow, which is more than can be said for my head, so quickly got 'round to curing that...
cider08029copy.jpg

Quick check on the raw material
cider08015copy-1.jpg

the pomace before pressing
cider08016copy-1.jpg

And after
cider08017copy.jpg

The press in action

Gradually getting there
cider08018copy.jpg

My son and Wellsy take a break
cider08019copy.jpg

Finally, 110 gallons barrelled
cider08026copy.jpg

Now all we have to do is wait...

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good stuff stovie, that press makes light work of it. my little one is hardly worrth all the effort.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE