Ancient bone needles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
In RM's first programme of the last series (UK Bushcraft one) the lady in the museum was showing Ray some bone needles. She said there were hundreds of them all found at the same site. My question is how do you think they would have made the eye for the needles way back then. Now I suppose I would heat some wire and gradually poke through, but I can't think of how they would have done it way back then. Any ideas ? :?:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
falling rain said:
There wouldn't have been any knives then. That's my point. How could you burn such a small hole in the bone ?
What timeperiod are we dealing with here?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I just found a website picturing a bone needle found approx. 11.000 years ago. :shock: Look at the small hole compared to the fingertip. :wink:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
There were plenty of knives - flint ones. there are two ways to make the hole, looking at the picture this one would have been made with a flint burin, just a small pointed flake of flint or chert used as a drill, probably mounted in something. I find loads of the things around here, pretty much all neolithic but once in a while you get lucky and find something from the mesolithic. I can't help it, my ex taught me to identify flint artefacts and now every patch of disturbed earth draws me in and once I spot somethng I just can't help picking it up.

The second way only works if you have a decent curve to the bone - you just saw or file through from the convex side until you've worn a hole through - same as the fire saw on Ray Mears.

Realgar

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
There are several methods, including those mentioned. Tiny drills can be fabricated from thorns,needles,bone . Add a fine grit like sand and very minute holes can be produced. Fresh or soaked bone is very pliable and soft. remember a prison escape was effected using dental floss and a grit to file through bars. It's a matter of time, something we seem to have lost.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Now I suppose I would heat some wire and gradually poke through, but I can't think of how they would have done it way back then. Any ideas ?
Exactly the same way but without the wire.... use hawthorns instead. Light the end and blow it out so it glows with an ember... then stubb it out on the bone.... do this repeatedly and eventually you'll get through. I've done this a few times and one tip i have is to make the hole first and fashion the needle around it. I found that much easier than than trying to create an eye.

:)
Ed

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I have just drilled two holes in a piece of bone. Both holes were drilled from one side only and subsequently ended up tapered. I could get smaller diameter holes drilling from both sides. The first hole was 3mm on one side and 2mm on the other and the second 2mm on one side and 1mm on the other. This was using fine pieces of flint cemented into a cattail hand drill with sealing wax though pine resin would also have done the job. The thickness of the bone was 2.5mm. I had tried to burn a hole but spent hours stubbing out lighted cocktail sticks to no avail. Hand drilling took about 2 minutes in total. Next I must make a needle.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I had tried to burn a hole but spent hours stubbing out lighted cocktail sticks to no avail.
What sort of bone are you using? I found this works the best on bird (chicken/pheasant) bone.... but it must be bone dry ..... excuse the pun :oops:

:)
Ed

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
The bone I am using is a piece of lamb bone that I found whilst on holiday. Part I used to make an arrow head and the few small pieces I had left I have experimented with drilling holes. So the bone is very dry and bleached white.
I must remember to keep the Sunday roast bones!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE